Advice: Which should I buy?

Roberto Arellano

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new here but I have a few questions. I'm looking into buying a used Macbook pro but I'm not sure which to get. For sure I want the 13" model because of the portability as it's gonna be for college and an i5 processor since that's what was suggested for my career (software engineering). However, I don't know which year would be best. I've seen some from 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. The newer models are a bit outta my price range.

Which model year would you guys recommend and why?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don’t know enough about the different models, and each size has different configurations anyway. I myself have a late 2013 retina MacBook Pro that I bought in early 2014 I believe. It’s still running great and I haven’t had any issues with it. It even runs Deus Ex: Human Revolution fairly well.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That's the one I was looking at, it seems like a good middle ground. Is it the i5 model?? Also, what kind of games can it run?

I do have an i5 in mine. Mine is the base model, so it has minimal storage. It’s not the greatest for gaming, so you’d probably want to run guns with minimal graphics or it will be slower and lag. Unfortunately MacBooks aren’t very great for gaming, but with the right settings it’s fine. I’ve even played World of Warcraft without issue on mine.

a9fa1fb85c8d21298f8e4a7fd9b917c5.heic

Roberto Arellano

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
Do you think a MacBook Pro 2012 would be any good?? I found one for a real good price but unsure if I should go for it. Also, I noticed you're running high Sierra, how is that? Any new features?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you think a MacBook Pro 2012 would be any good?? I found one for a real good price but unsure if I should go for it. Also, I noticed you're running high Sierra, how is that? Any new features?

It’s the developer beta of High Sierra, I actually haven’t played with any new features yet other than Messages in iCloud and that’s not working too well at the moment. The biggest thing about High Sierra for me is the change to the Apple File System which compresses flies and frees up more storage space. As far as the 2012 MacBook I’m not too sure. It depends on the configuration really, if it’s enough for your needs it should be fine.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have the Late 2013 rMBP as well, it's maxed out in terms of specs and it still performs well in 2017.

I tend to play CS:GO or even Elder Scrolls Online.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you could stomach the 15" I'd say go with that because you could get the i7 which when going with an older mbp is much better....especially for engineering and such. 2014 will be the best model overall but if you can get a really good 2012 that would be good. Both of those years tend to have the best built mbps.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Buying a used computer, I would concern myself with the quality of the seller more than the quality of the computer. If you are buying from a trustworthy seller, than any of the years you mentioned would be fine, but if something sounds too good to be true, than it probably is...

You could have great luck with a well conditioned machine that is 5 years old and have a boat-load of problems with a 2 year old machine that has been abused.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Another thing to consider is how long will Apple continue to support (with updates) the model you want? Along with decent specs, you do want something that Apple will be supporting for awhile because it would suck to buy a laptop that will no longer be supported in a year or two. If it's at all possible that you can save a bit longer to buy the latest model possible, that's what I'm recommending.

If you buy used directly from Apple, it will come with a warranty. I strongly recommend buying from Apple.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2013 rMBP with 256Gb SSD. Haven't had any issues, it runs whatever I trow at it, I've played batman asylum, Tomb Raider underworld and other high end games, specs maxed, with an xbox 360 controller and all, had no problem running them. Haven't suffered any lag I have been able to upgrade it, has all the necessary ports IMO...so I agree with going 2013-2014 model.

Hope you find a good deal! and double check sellers, better go with a known one that may even offer you warranty if you don't get what you paid for.

Good luck :)

pablomdelgado

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new here but I have a few questions. I'm looking into buying a used Macbook pro but I'm not sure which to get. For sure I want the 13" model because of the portability as it's gonna be for college and an i5 processor since that's what was suggested for my career (software engineering). However, I don't know which year would be best. I've seen some from 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. The newer models are a bit outta my price range.

Which model year would you guys recommend and why?

I personally own a 2012, I upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB with 500 GB of memory and runs like champ. I plan to upgrade the RAM to 16GB and the memory from HDD to SSD. I know of someone who did and his is ridiculously fast. In my opinion you can’t go wrong with any MacBook Pro 2011 to 2014.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR