Migration assistant didn't work on Ethernet

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
So I got my new 2017 MacBook Pro 15" space grey this past week. I also got an Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock. I decided that I would try to migrate my files from my old 2011 MacBook Pro to my new Mac via Ethernet. So Thursday I rush home from work to get things started. Connecting the MacBook Pros together with Ethernet cable via the powered Elgato dock I start migration assistant on both. Despite numerous attempts I wasn't able to get migration assistant to start transferring my data. I tried with wifi off but that didn't make a difference. So I thought that maybe the problem was that my old Mac had FileVault turned on. So I started decryption and then left it until it completed the next day. Once that was done I tried migration assistant again, still nothing!

I then thought I would just transfer my photos and music via an external HD which unfortunately has a USB-A connection. I started this but it was way to slow.

I had picked up a second Ethernet cable that second day as well just in case there was something wrong with my Ethernet cable, but that cable also didn't make things work.

Finally, I had a good idea, I connected each of my MacBook Pros via Ethernet to my AirPort Extreme router which then puts them on a wired network. Finally with this connection I was able to transfer files quickly from my old to new MacBook Pro. By that time I had already set up my new MacBook Pro and downloaded the software that I needed and set up printers and changed settings so I didn't need migration assistant, so I only used the wired connection to transfer my photo library and music library.

Hopefully this might help a few people avoid the hassle, stress and waste of time that I went through.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2