Open box at Best Buy

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience on this. I've seen the new 2017 15" MacBook Pro certified excellent open box for about $170 off the new price which is $2799. This is supposed to be almost like new except it was bought and brought back. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven’t, but I’d go for it if I were you. You still have time to return it if you discover problems.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I didn't read the small print. I signed up for the student discount that's $100 off. The discount is not available for open box items and other things. So it's buy open box and maybe save $170 and be wary, OR save only $100 on a student discount and get brand new. I've got to go with the new. $70 is not that much between the two. Now the wait time begins still.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't read the small print. I signed up for the student discount that's $100 off. The discount is not available for open box items and other things. So it's buy open box and maybe save $170 and be wary, OR save only $100 on a student discount and get brand new. I've got to go with the new. $70 is not that much between the two. Now the wait time begins still.

Agreed........Enjoy your new toy.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
"Now the wait time begins still." No disrespect intended okay? I still haven't bought it yet. Still need about either about $1000 for the 256gb or $1300 for the 512gb. Looks like it's coming about the end of July or probably sometime in August.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience on this. I've seen the new 2017 15" MacBook Pro certified excellent open box for about $170 off the new price which is $2799. This is supposed to be almost like new except it was bought and brought back. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do that all the time. Just bought an open box 10.5" iPad pro that looks brand new. Have no issues and has the warranty and still eligible for apple care. I also bought a MacBook pro about a year ago open box and same. Bestbuy is good with those, especially the geek squad certified/like new ones.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I do that all the time. Just bought an open box 10.5" iPad pro that looks brand new. Have no issues and has the warranty and still eligible for apple care. I also bought a MacBook pro about a year ago open box and same. Bestbuy is good with those, especially the geek squad certified/like new ones.

Same here. I bought a Geek Squad Certified open box Mac mini 2.6Ghz a few months ago and it was perfect, no different than new. The sale was $100 off, plus $70 off for open box, then they knocked another $60 off for not giving me the advertised two-day free shipping (it came USPS a day late and I complained). Not a bad deal.

sboj_evets

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
I did that with my most recent MBP purchase for a 2015 (back when it was new). I ended up getting $250 off of retail despite the fact that the Macbook had never even been removed from the cellophane wrapping. All of the accessories were still bundled up like-new, and even the stickers/ manuals were in the box. The box literally was just opened and thats it. You can't beat BestBuy's open box deals, that's for sure. The best part is that they still carry the Apple care warranty. I also purchased on my credit card which extends the manufacturer's warranty for another year. SCORE!

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I did that with my most recent MBP purchase for a 2015 (back when it was new). I ended up getting $250 off of retail despite the fact that the Macbook had never even been removed from the cellophane wrapping. All of the accessories were still bundled up like-new, and even the stickers/ manuals were in the box. The box literally was just opened and thats it. You can't beat BestBuy's open box deals, that's for sure. The best part is that they still carry the Apple care warranty. I also purchased on my credit card which extends the manufacturer's warranty for another year. SCORE!

If I went this way and bought open box and wanted to sell later on how would I? I think I'd have to tell them it was open box. It wouldn't be good to lie about it.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought my MacBook open box 2 years ago for $1066. It is the base 256 gb model so it was $1299 brand new. You may have to buy some of the programs from apple that you would get when you open a brand new box, like imovie. I went to the apple store when I realized this and they basically said that is what happens when you buy open box. Good day friends

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking at $70 between open box and new. I think it'll be better to go new. Thanks for the help. I'll post when I get it.

Sorry about not posting. I bought the $2800 one at the end of July. Sold the old late 2013 15” rMBP & the 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro.

I’m loving this thing. 2017 15” MBP with 2.9 ghz, 512gb storage and 560 graphics card with 4gb of RAM. Thought I was done with the iPad but 2 weeks ago got the 10.5” one with 256gb from AT&T next. Now there’s no money for iPhone 8 plus. Have to stick with my 7 plus for another year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2