MBPro 2017 for Video Editing - which upgrade to get?

missfai

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys, I need to upgrade my lappy and can't decide between the MPB 15" 512GB standard or 13"(touch bar) with some upgrades (I can't afford to get all 13" upgrades). I use my mac to:

- edit video footage - some in 4K
- on FCPX with plugins (MotionVFX, Cosmo, Magic Bullet Looks + compositing 4K footage on top)
- I DON'T use AppleMotion or 3D compositing programs
- TRAVEL a lot, so 15" feels heavy and don't fit into most of my bags or the airplane table when the seat in front is reclined.

Questions... If I go for 13"(touch bar), which upgrades are most useful - the i7 processor or 16GB RAM? Or do I go with the 15" which has them as standard option + has the quadcore and suffer the travel issues? I'm happy with 10-15% slower performance, but not half... TIA :)

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

If you go 13 with touch bar I would go i7 and up the RAM. The i7 is the more important of the two but you can't update anything after. Personally I would go the 15. I do video editing and use an iMac i7 24GB RAM and it's quick. The little bit of inconvenience for travel is worth it. Plus the added screen with be nice. Thanks.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey @missfai Welcome to iMore 😃

I think the base 15" model would definitely be the best option (if you keeping it for 5+ years). The dedicated graphics card is a nice addition. It's not that much heavier than the 13".

If you do go for the 13", I would upgrade the RAM to 16gb instead of the Core i7. I rather wait a little extra than run out of memory.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73