TouchBar - Yay or Nay?

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If only apple included to TouchID on the non-touch bar it would not even be a question. I didn't think I would need the touch bar so I got one without and just use my apple watch to auto-unlock my mac. As a developer I just can't see any use of it and the idea of looking away from the screen to use it seems annoying.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Opted for the 13" without the touch bar. I tried it and it was cool to play with but I don't feel like I'm missing out. I would like the Touch ID though. That would be nice to have.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If only apple included to TouchID on the non-touch bar it would not even be a question. I didn't think I would need the touch bar so I got one without and just use my apple watch to auto-unlock my mac. As a developer I just can't see any use of it and the idea of looking away from the screen to use it seems annoying.

I use my TB to run scripts and code cause I'm lazy.

Opted for the 13" without the touch bar. I tried it and it was cool to play with but I don't feel like I'm missing out. I would like the Touch ID though. That would be nice to have.

I feel like you have to force yourself to use it. But I'm like I can't live without this cause it keeps using my laptop easy with my long claws 🤣🤣🤣

f984c9d9ee916a516dc4882f06910ae3.jpg

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I feel like you have to force yourself to use it. But I'm like I can't live without this cause it keeps using my laptop easy with my long claws 🤣🤣🤣

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/f984c9d9ee916a516dc4882f06910ae3.jpg

Lol. I don't have the long claws, but I'm sure I'd use it if I had it. This is my first MacBook so I was already having the shakes from spending so much on a laptop. I got a great deal at Best Buy though and I absolutely love my MacBook even without the touch bar and Touch ID. I am very happy with my switch so far.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Lol. I don't have the long claws, but I'm sure I'd use it if I had it. This is my first MacBook so I was already having the shakes from spending so much on a laptop. I got a great deal at Best Buy though and I absolutely love my MacBook even without the touch bar and Touch ID. I am very happy with my switch so far.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase! I think If you get the touchbar Better Touch Tool is a MUST. No ifs,ands or buts. It makes touchbar beyond amazing

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I own the Touch Bar version and think the the speck upgrade without the Touch Bar alone is worth it. If you bump up the non-touch bar to the biggest with a 256 ssd you are looking at the same prices as the touchpad with a slower processor. Now, what I have noticed after using my toucher Mac then going to my wife's 12 inch Mac was that I missed the Touch Bar. There are little shortcuts and very easy ways of doing things with the Touch Bar that is hard to do with the old style top row. An example would be while watching a video and wanting to do a PIP. With the touch bar its the click of an icon. Its a 3 step process without it. fast forwarding and rewinding is another perk. Rewinding using old school methods drive me mad now.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I own the Touch Bar version and think the the speck upgrade without the Touch Bar alone is worth it. If you bump up the non-touch bar to the biggest with a 256 ssd you are looking at the same prices as the touchpad with a slower processor. Now, what I have noticed after using my toucher Mac then going to my wife's 12 inch Mac was that I missed the Touch Bar. There are little shortcuts and very easy ways of doing things with the Touch Bar that is hard to do with the old style top row. An example would be while watching a video and wanting to do a PIP. With the touch bar its the click of an icon. Its a 3 step process without it. fast forwarding and rewinding is another perk. Rewinding using old school methods drive me mad now.

I was thinking of getting one to replace my Late 2013 rMBP... but dayum it's expensive
TouchBar looks dope along with Space Gray.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I think the late 2013 is still good enough when comparing to what I have. I came from a 2012 MacBook Air 11. I just think a lot of the naysayers about the Touch Bar haven't used it enough. I remember how people freaked that apple dropped the optical drive.

Hup55

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
its one of those things until you actually get it and start using it, you realize how dependent you become on the touch bar!! I love it, Final cut Pro with touch bar is amazing!!!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
its one of those things until you actually get it and start using it, you realize how dependent you become on the touch bar!! I love it, Final cut Pro with touch bar is amazing!!!

Yup! I tried my friend’s TB MBP and it’s amazing!

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I really like Touch bar,Touch ID. I know it will get better in future. It’s my first MBP, so far love this thing.

1374f50f5322e9708f26629e62323c13.jpg

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
It was time to upgrade my daughters computers this year and I got them the TouchBar version. They both said it was not worth it and they hardly use it ...They say Gimmick (college students)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It was time to upgrade my daughters computers this year and I got them the TouchBar version. They both said it was not worth it and they hardly use it ...They say Gimmick (college students)

Yeah it’s nice to have, but it’s not revolutionary or anything of that sort.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
New MacBook Pro here and I have it but I'm not really using it. I think it's mostly that I haven't embraced it yet.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Meh for me.

It is not intrusive and have no issues using the right keys for the right moment. I do occasionally use the TouchBar though in few apps, mostly in Notes app where all the formatting options are available in the TouchBar. I also use it with Microsoft Office apps.

Is this really necessary? nope

Do I regret getting MBP with it? nope