TouchBar - Yay or Nay?

Simeon Herbert

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I love it, and now that you can use programmes like BetterTouchTool to create your own buttons it's even more amazing.

True not every program is using it yet, but its very cool and will become more and more useful.

steron

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
Im using a new MBP with touchbar since last month, and for my experince, the touchbar seems to helps.
From browsing on youtube (fast forwading videos), arranging my file in the mac, even to use for microsoft office (they had updates for touchbar).

I know that it needs to wait for a while until we can utilized more of the touch bar function, but it seems a good start from here.
And other things that helps a lot is the touch id :)

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Touch ID is fairly useful, the touchbar has lost it's glamour. Emojis in iMessage are harder to get to on the bar than through the old way. I think it only really comes to be useful in Office, and even that isn't a big deal.

int32_t

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Reading this thread has me torn. The Touch Bar sounds useful, but only the no-Touch-Bar version has a semi-replaceable SSD. Repairability has significant value to me, but Touch ID sure would be nice too!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't own it but it seems gimmicky to me

My first reaction was 'AWESOME' but once that died down and i started playing with it a little more in stores. It doesn't seem to add much benefit to my life. Maybe to others it will :) I'm happy using a physical button to turn my brightness down and various other things. I do like seeing a while video timeline in the touch bar and i can move between sections quickly. But that alone isn't worth the premium :)

Maybe Touch Bar 2.0 will add new things and make it much more worth while.

willboyce

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm used to using touchscreen. But I'm fed up cleaning it 5 or 6 times a day.
However this touchbar is half way crossover for me.
I only need to clean my screen every other day if that.
While the touchbar doesn't make it feel alien for someone thats used to a surface book

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm used to using touchscreen. But I'm fed up cleaning it 5 or 6 times a day.
However this touchbar is half way crossover for me.
I only need to clean my screen every other day if that.
While the touchbar doesn't make it feel alien for someone thats used to a surface book

Same. I work fixing computers and my OCD goes through the roof when I see these touch screen Windows units full of fingerprints, grease stains and marks. It's so unsanitary if you ask me. Granted, I know the phone I'm typing this on is no better, neither is my Mac keyboard, but just something about a 17" panel with stains and prints on it just bugs me...

Hup55

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
It's actually amazing how much I use the touch bar! Once you start getting used to it, I would be lost without it! Especially in Final Cut Pro! It's one of those things at first you're not sure about, but once you start to utilize it very amazing function on my MacBook Pro.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's cool but without it I don't feel like I'm missing it. If my next one has it, then I may wonder how I went so long without!

Daniel J Payne

May 27, 2017
Visit site
I've been using the TouchBar for several months now, and it's certainly a marketing gimmick, however the fingerprint sensor on the far-right of the TouchBar works great and actually saves me time and effort from typing my system password.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the TouchBar for several months now, and it's certainly a marketing gimmick, however the fingerprint sensor on the far-right of the TouchBar works great and actually saves me time and effort from typing my system password.

This would be the killer feature for me if I didn't have an Apple Watch

valkraider

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I am a long long time Apple Fanboy. Many many apple devices. Very very fond of repeated words for emphasis.

I have a touch-bar version at work.

I never use the touch bar. Never.

I do use Touch-ID all the time.

The touch bar is pretty useless. The cognitive disconnect of a "screen" changing contexts on the keyboard while I am simultaneously using the real screen - just makes it impossible to use.

Also - I really really miss my physical escape key. So much that I used another repeated adjective sentence!

Another problem hit me a couple days ago - the touch bar crashed. It was dead - so at that point I had no escape! Touch-ID stopped working. I had to reboot the whole computer to get my escape key, volume keys, brightness keys, and touch-ID back.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have two 13" pro's one for the office and one for home.The newest one was purchased without the touch bar I didn't feel I needed it plus the price is that much higher.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I thought I wouldn't want it, but when I finally got the latest Macbook Pro, I'm kind of hooked. I really dig the Microsoft Office tools with the Touchbar shortcuts and Safari's touchbar functionality is great.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR