Does anyone know of a program that would tell me the CPU temperature?

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if a program that would tell me the CPU temperature? I can't find it in apple's utilities. I can't seem to run iStat nano. Any other suggestions? I'm running dragon dictation and Firefox so expect to be pushing the computer. Worried 1) will get throttled if gets too hot and 2) if gets really hot May shorten life of CPU. Want to be sure I need to order a cooling stand.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Re: MacBook Pro 2016 gets hot

Does anyone know if a program that would tell me the CPU temperature? I can't find it in apple's utilities. I can't seem to run iStat nano. Any other suggestions? I'm running dragon dictation and Firefox so expect to be pushing the computer. Worried 1) will get throttled if gets too hot and 2) if gets really hot May shorten life of CPU. Want to be sure I need to order a cooling stand.

There are a few free and paid ones in this article that should do what you're asking
Monitor Your Mac’s Vital Signs With These Third Party System Monitors

This one looks the most interesting to me though.
Monitor System Stats, CPU Temp, Fan Speed in Mac Notification Center | OSXDaily

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

I run Firefox, Safari, Slack Mac App, Thunderbird, iMessage and RocketChat 24/7, connected to two external monitors and using the laptops monitor and my MBP 2016 15 is running at 87.9F using MenuBar Stats (https://www.seense.com/menubarstats/). Feels cool, and is very quiet. I'm really impressed with the machine.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

It does run quiet, it almost never turns on the fan. Running Safari, totally cool. Dragon dictation and Firefox - it gets up to 70C - but the fan increases to keep it in the mid 60s. Intel says that chip can tolerate 100C - which is crazy! I don't think I could touch the computer at that temp (or keep the drive cool enough.) but I too am super impressed with the MacBook Pro. I have an i7 HP tower with 16 RAM and SSD too - And the MacBook Pro laptop can do dragon dictation just as well!! That is astounding...I haven't found the touchbar very helpful for what I do.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

smcFanControl is all I have ever used.

https://www.eidac.de

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

It does run quiet, it almost never turns on the fan. Running Safari, totally cool. Dragon dictation and Firefox - it gets up to 70C - but the fan increases to keep it in the mid 60s. Intel says that chip can tolerate 100C - which is crazy! I don't think I could touch the computer at that temp (or keep the drive cool enough.) but I too am super impressed with the MacBook Pro. I have an i7 HP tower with 16 RAM and SSD too - And the MacBook Pro laptop can do dragon dictation just as well!! That is astounding...I haven't found the touchbar very helpful for what I do.

Final Cut pro - ANY NLE, even quicktime is nice to search through content. Beats trying to split hairs with the pointer grabbing the slider!

And the CPU temperature is on die. Even the part of the heatsink that's touching the CPU is never close to that temperature. Difference between die junction temp and heat spreader (commonly called the delta) can be as high as fifty degrees Centigrade. Which means at 100C (TJ limit) which is hot (boiling point of distilled water at sea level!) the heatpipe could be 50C or slightly higher. Around 120-125F. About the temp most households keep their hot water. And yes if you run just the hot in the sink and put your hand in there, it's quite toasty. But the chips can handle it. That is why if a chip is cooled well it can be overclocked.

The chassis gets warm/hot because the cooling system is working efficiently. If the computer never got hot and there wasn't a fan blowing like a hair dryer putting out searing hot air, it would either be throttling down or burn up!

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. The CPU get hotter than 70C. The chip says can get to 100C safely. I'm coming from my work MacBook Air which never got hot - but also never could do anything intensive.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

What is amazing is how silent the MacBook 2016 is. Sitting with i5 toshiba laptop and the fan is loud enough to hear...while looking at the web. Other than manually controlling the fans on the MacBook Pro 2016, I have never heard them!

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Yes mine ramped up to 100% while rendering a project that took about two hours. It's not something I normally do on a portable computer but I wanted to see if it would break down. It did not. I was in Outlook working on emails and had a youtube video playing as well. Not a hiccup. It does get quite toasty right in the middle towards the back though.

Even at 100% fan speed, I'd say the noise is about as loud as my 2015 rmbp fan running at 50%. And that machine ran its fan at that speed or higher doing most everyday tasks like watching a HD video!

They have the fan profile VERY tight on these but the fans will ramp up when needed so the CPU does not throttle. My 2015 will throttle if pushed extremely hard.

The only thing that beats the 2016 mbp on acoustics is the 12" macbook. It has no fan. But it's anemic speed wise in comparison too!

1dtbrown

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

Which CPUs are you all using. I am thinking about one of these machines but climbing off the fence because of mainly heat and keyboard issues.

Does A PC allow a type of BootCamp so you can run OS X??

I am looking at a 2016 MBP and am trying to figure out how I want its spec'ed out. Maybe you can help with this here. I am toying around with getting 512GB model and the faster CPU and 16 GB RAM, then maybe Bootcamp so I can run Windows 10 for a few programs. Is this enough space,

What do you think? Thanks

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

What is amazing is how silent the MacBook 2016 is. Sitting with i5 toshiba laptop and the fan is loud enough to hear...while looking at the web. Other than manually controlling the fans on the MacBook Pro 2016, I have never heard them!

My wife had her Windows PC laptop the other day and I was surprised how loud it was just sitting on the table.