Does anyone actually like the new keyboard?

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hated it. Also, I'm right now unable to work on mine because the space bar simply decided stop working when I press it borders (90% of time when I'm tipping a long text).

Really annoying.

Cheers,

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I use a keyboard cover on mine, yes its very different than my 2014 macbook but no issues typing on it at all.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't mind it that much. It's nice that the keys aren't as wiggly as my 2011 MacBook Pro, but I'm still making more errors than I used to. My speed is back, but a few more errors than normal. I'm sure it'll just be a matter of time. Thankfully it's gotten a little quieter the more I've used it.

philrodo

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm finding the new keyboard hard to get used to. I type pretty fast, but I also bang the keys pretty hard. This keyboard doesn't absorb my hard hits as well as all the other MacBook keyboards I've used in the past and this causes some typing errors, plus it's hard on my fingers. I'm trying to remember not to bang the keys as hard as I've gotten used to over the years, because of the sponginess of other keyboards. I suppose I'm going to get used to it, but I think I preferred the keyboard on my old 2013 MacBook Pro.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Love the new keyboard, I found the keys on my older 2012 MacBook Air had far too much sideways movement.

What I like:

- Precision of keys, I'm far more accurate using this keyboard
- I can type quite a bit softer, you don't need to bang it (at first I found myself doing it mind you)
- Background lighting through the keyboard is a lot more uniform and it looks far far better
- On my previous MacBook Air, at times I could see keyboard marks on the screen when the laptop was closed, no longer with the new one
- The touchbar is proving far more useful than I first realised, for example give the native screen shot a go, suddenly the touchbar is useful (very)
- If you miss the physical escape key, just re-map it to the caps lock button

What I don't like:
- Yes it could do with a little more travel, but I'm not fussed and have adjusted (as anyone will I'm sure)
- I use the arrows quite a bit, a return to older style layout would be great, but once again no big deal

I've found that people who have overly strong opinions of the new keyboard often haven't used it for extended periods of time, if at all. But I do understand some folks grievances.

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm still getting used to it. Sure, I'm used to other keyboards with scissor mechanism and I always typed "harder", but once you get used to the butterfly mechanism and you begin to type "softer" it feels great to type on it.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes you get used to it.
Problem is people act like they're being made to breathe under water and just dismiss it completely without a hint of considering merit where due.

Of course I'm (slightly) biased being a user of many devices with shorter travel keys.

On the desktop I prefer a mechanical (Cherry Brown or MX switch) go figure.

ElenaCanada

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I actually really like it! I got used to it so fast, and find it much easier to type on and sleeker looking than that on my Dad's 2014 Pro or Mom's Air.

apple_power_user

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the new keyboard as well--snappy and responsive. I had to type something on the MBA my son inherited from me, and it felt weird and that I was having to push the keys harder.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
or is it just something you put up with/get used to?

I must admit, i do prefer the older keyboards. They were less noisy and had more travel which is nice in my opinion. I don't think they are bad, just different and takes some time to get used to. Sometimes it feels like i haven't pressed a key when i actually have because I'm so used to having more travel. The keys are a little bigger than previous Macbook Pro which i quite like. So there are pros and cons. :)

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the diverse opinions. In my few brief encounters with it, I've had terrible accuracy and found myself unconsciously hammering the keys to try to get a sense of feedback. I also have the esc:w muscle memory to overcome. I am trying to avoid upgrades this year, but if I stay with the platform I will eventually get stuck with that keyboard.

jdot104

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Love the new keyboard, I found the keys on my older 2012 MacBook Air had far too much sideways movement.

What I like:

- Precision of keys, I'm far more accurate using this keyboard
- I can type quite a bit softer, you don't need to bang it (at first I found myself doing it mind you)
- Background lighting through the keyboard is a lot more uniform and it looks far far better
- On my previous MacBook Air, at times I could see keyboard marks on the screen when the laptop was closed, no longer with the new one
- The touchbar is proving far more useful than I first realised, for example give the native screen shot a go, suddenly the touchbar is useful (very)
- If you miss the physical escape key, just re-map it to the caps lock button

What I don't like:
- Yes it could do with a little more travel, but I'm not fussed and have adjusted (as anyone will I'm sure)
- I use the arrows quite a bit, a return to older style layout would be great, but once again no big deal

I've found that people who have overly strong opinions of the new keyboard often haven't used it for extended periods of time, if at all. But I do understand some folks grievances.

I agree with most of this, but I think the travel is just fine on this keyboard. I briefly owned the 12-inch MacBook before I realized I needed a more powerful laptop, so I went with the new MBP. The keyboard on the 12-inch was actually extremely comfortable for me once I got used to it. In fact, it actually increased my typing speed. I find that the MBP's keyboard has just the right amount of added travel for me. Typing on an older MBP now feels like there's too much travel.

I do agree about the arrow keys, though. I wish the left and right keys were half their size so I could find them without having to look to make sure I'm on the right one. Not a deal breaker though.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I enjoy the new keyboard. i am a touch typist and this keyboard suits me just fine. I have noticed however that my typing on other keyboards has become a lot worse

Hage0022

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I use the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon for work, which has an excellent keyboard. I use my MBP 2016 at home and I really like the butterfly keyboard, especially the clicky sound. Feels a little bit like a mechanical keyboard. I don't like the arrow keys and I'm still not used to the escape key.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73