Though this article pertains to the Mac desktops as well as the MacBook Pro, could it be the mixed reaction of late to the new MBPs may have something to do with priorities within Apple itself?

Apple Is Having a Mac Crisis

Thoughts?
    12-20-2016 04:27 PM
    I think there has been a lot of emphasis on the "cash cow" for Apple and less on the desktop/laptop line. There's some innovation there with the touch bar, but devices like the Mac Mini and Mac Pro have been largely neglected (or in the case of the Mini, severely handcuffed)

I'm hoping that changes!
    jsarino likes this.
    12-21-2016 04:55 AM
    Let's face it, Apple is the iPhone company. Everything else takes a back seat. Their priorities lie with making sure there's a new iPhone to push out in September and they've been known to pull resources from other areas to make sure that happens.
    12-21-2016 05:48 AM
    I kind of take a different point of view. Sure iOS devices as a whole have gotten more attention lately. Part of that is because that's where the money is right now. But also I think it's because that's where the faster paced innovation is happening. Desktop/laptop chips are getting more efficient, but not necessarily that much faster. There's not a ton of new stuff happening anywhere in that market. Microsoft is betting big on it right now because it's all they've got. They don't have even a successful toe in mobile hardware. I do think it'll balance out a little over time, but until the mobile advancements slow down more, and the desktop advancements ramp up it's probably gonna stay mobile first. Mobile is a little more affordable as well.There are cheap traditional computers, but they feel generic. People are willing to spend on mobile because phones, tablets, and wearables feel more personal than a laptop. I don't think it's a crisis, but following the market.

Or as Mugatu says

Mac Crisis-1gcy16.jpg
    jsarino likes this.
    12-21-2016 08:07 AM
    Understood about following the market, @msm0511 but there are a lot of us that still need/rely on Macs that would be upset if development halted and/or went away. It's even disappointing that things are going the way they are (locked down machines, specifically) but hey, keep feeding us and we'll keep eating.
    12-22-2016 04:48 AM
    Understood about following the market, @msm0511 but there are a lot of us that still need/rely on Macs that would be upset if development halted and/or went away. It's even disappointing that things are going the way they are (locked down machines, specifically) but hey, keep feeding us and we'll keep eating.
    I don't think they'll halt development. I wouldn't want to imagine life without macOS either. When it comes to Macs Apple is still so bound by Intel and others that I think it slows development down. It would be really nice if they could develop more in house hardware for the Mac division.
    12-22-2016 08:12 AM
    I don't think they'll halt development. I wouldn't want to imagine life without macOS either. When it comes to Macs Apple is still so bound by Intel and others that I think it slows development down. It would be really nice if they could develop more in house hardware for the Mac division.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see an in-house processor, with proof it can keep up with or out-perform those from intel, etc
    msm0511 likes this.
    12-22-2016 12:55 PM
    Wouldn't be surprised to see an in-house processor, with proof it can keep up with or out-perform those from intel, etc
    That's what I'm hoping for.
    robertk328 likes this.
    12-22-2016 01:36 PM