Buyer Beware - MacBook Pro with Touchbar

kalel715

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello all. I preordered a 15" MB Pro on launch day. Within the first week of using it, I found the the trackpad didn't respond correctly, the graphics card scrambled the screen and locked the computer periodically, and the toucher controls would randomly appear on the laptop screen.

After taking it to the Apple Store and dealing with a VERY horrid experience of exchanging, I just sat down to use the new one. Immediately, as I typed, it was apparent that the keys of the keyboard were not attached correctly. As I type, it sounds like I'm popping corn - certain keys making very loud popping noises and sometimes not coming up from being depressed.

Sad to say, but I think that Apple doesn't have their manufacturing process down for these new MacBooks yet. I'm going to return mine and struggle through with my 2009 as much as I can. :(

Anyone else hear of these issues or experience them for themselves?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
That's a huge bummer you had so many problems with yours. Mine hasn't made it to me yet, but I knew about the graphics issue. Hopefully they'll get it all worked out soon.

macboer

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I never buy first gen products from apple.

I am always behind, but have had little problems with my machines.

.touch wood.

rchacko

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
That sounds terrible! I'm so sorry that's happening to you. My mac may be old, but I've never had a single issue with it :) I guess now I'm not as envious of people with shiny new laptops!

niharikasarma

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I saw this video today.

I'm not going to buy a MacBook in the coming few months (lack of funds), but I'm sort of glad I don't have the money to buy it now. When you think about it, I don't really see the point of having a giant trackpad. The ones that we have right now are of a decent size. Some people are saying that it's working really good, so I'm going to assume all these problems are because they're rushing the manufacturing to meet holiday demand. At least, I hope so.

alphatectz

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I saw this video today.

I'm not going to buy a MacBook in the coming few months (lack of funds), but I'm sort of glad I don't have the money to buy it now. When you think about it, I don't really see the point of having a giant trackpad. The ones that we have right now are of a decent size. Some people are saying that it's working really good, so I'm going to assume all these problems are because they're rushing the manufacturing to meet holiday demand. At least, I hope so.

After seeing this. I think I'll call up apple and cancel my order now.

kalel715

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that video. Kinda makes me sick to my stomach that these things are happening. I'm staring to wonder if I should go with last year's model, though I'm not sure where I could get it. My old Mac is just getting too slow and it's really bugging out. .

I will say, after using this replacement, second version, it is acting better. The trackpad is now less buggy, and the popping keys have settled down. Though, I did have to press all of them hundreds of times and use canned air to fix the issue. WTF?

Sigh. I feel trapped. Is there any hope this machine will improve over time with software updates?

Last edited:

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Software updates cannot give back lost battery capacity nor will they cure the thermal issues. Well come to think of it, they can. Just throttle or reduce clock speeds of the parts accordingly. This sounds so familiar...

My top of the line 2015 is doing fine. I really wish they went to a 4K or better display. I have a (Dell) 9550 and the near bezel-less UHD display is fantastic.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Really saddened to read the OP here. I haven't heard of such issues from anyone I know that has the new MBP, but these things must be an issue for many. Hopefully Apple is able to help folks out with their problems and provide new units to those with the defective units.

kalel715

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank you sir. As a die-hard fanboy, it's been really rough to see a product-line that I love have so many manufacturing and hardware issues. The most frustrating thing is that I need a Mac to do my work and have no great options. All of this stress, and it was compounded by having to argue with an Apple Store manager that an exchange of this type should be direct swap-out. Instead, the store charged me extra tax, because this "new" Mac wasn't purchased at my home. Luckily, I have a direct line into the business services portion of the store, and they are formulating a plan to try and help me.

For the first time in 15 years, I'm contemplating moving to Windows. Gasp! :(
Perhaps I'll have to struggle though until Apple creates a better revision to this version of the MB Pro. The hard thing with that is, when on Earth could that be?

Really saddened to read the OP here. I haven't heard of such issues from anyone I know that has the new MBP, but these things must be an issue for many. Hopefully Apple is able to help folks out with their problems and provide new units to those with the defective units.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
If you're pretty deep in the Mac OS ecosystem, and considering you've been using a MBP since 2009, not sure if it's the right move to go to Windows now. Not to say that it's impossible, but it's certainly not going to be fun to switch full time. Wish you luck with business services, and hope they can find a solution for you.

Reading about all this makes me either pull the trigger on a 2015 MBP (upgrading from a 2011), or waiting another year for a 2nd gen of the Touch Bar MacBook Pros.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
If you're pretty deep in the Mac OS ecosystem, and considering you've been using a MBP since 2009, not sure if it's the right move to go to Windows now. Not to say that it's impossible, but it's certainly not going to be fun to switch full time. Wish you luck with business services, and hope they can find a solution for you.

Reading about all this makes me either pull the trigger on a 2015 MBP (upgrading from a 2011), or waiting another year for a 2nd gen of the Touch Bar MacBook Pros.

I probably would've waited if I could, but my late 2011 MBP has a failing hard drive. I looked into Windows myself, but just couldn't pull the trigger. I've been using Macs since the iMac DV Special Edition since 98 or 99, can't remember. I did have a Toshiba Windows machine around 05, but hated it. It only lasted 2 yrs before crapping out too.

My 13 in w/ Touch Bar is supposed to be delivered between the 20th and 26th. Just hoping I don't have any hardware problems with mine.

alphatectz

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
My 13" touch bar should be delivered some time this week. I'm hoping that I won't have any of those issues either. From what I read from other blogs forums. There are only a certain amount of people that are having an issue with the new mac books.

nappalonia

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Wow, I've had my new MBP 15in for about two weeks now and have not seen any of the issues dicussed. However, I cannot for the life of me get the screensaver to work:straight-face:

Dan_M

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
:concern: that sounds horrible... I hope you get it sorted out though. Apple seems to have great rapport for fixing manufacturing problems for their customers.

kalel715

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Do you notice any sound difference in the keys? In particular, the Tab and Delete keys? All of my other keys have settled down, but these two are randomly quite loud and poppy. When I checked some of these new models at the local Best Buy, I felt as though al the keys were uniformly quiet.

Wow, I've had my new MBP 15in for about two weeks now and have not seen any of the issues dicussed. However, I cannot for the life of me get the screensaver to work:straight-face:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2