Ok I drank the Kool-Aid...Bought a mac

murphcid

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Well after lusting after one for 34 years (I remember 1984's ad), I finally got one today. It is a 13" last years model (I have too many USB devices to go to USB-C) with the 256gb flash drive. I have already had a problem with it, where random keys on the right side of the keyboard would not work. Option pressed five times seems to have fixed the issue. It is just enough different from my Linux laptop to be confusing. So what are some of the important tips and tricks I need to learn to use this thing to its full potential?

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Well after lusting after one for 34 years (I remember 1984's ad), I finally got one today. It is a 13" last years model (I have too many USB devices to go to USB-C) with the 256gb flash drive. I have already had a problem with it, where random keys on the right side of the keyboard would not work. Option pressed five times seems to have fixed the issue. It is just enough different from my Linux laptop to be confusing. So what are some of the important tips and tricks I need to learn to use this thing to its full potential?

Congrats on your new Mac!! Just out of curiosity.. what did you get and from where? Something brand new should've have issues already.

Here's a few articles to check out on iMore that will get you started.

10 things every new Mac owner should know | iMore
Ten Mac apps you need to download right now! | iMore

murphcid

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I got it as Best Buy yesterday. It was a 2015 model, not the latest, but since I have so many legacy USB devices, I could not afford to go completely USB-C (Which the salesguy told me was rather common, they were selling out of the older model). I had the key issue, and googled it, and apparently it is somewhat common. Option five times seems to reset whatever the problem was. I find myself comparing it to my Linux Mint 18 installation (on my 13.3" HP laptop), and I must say I like both very much. So far I have not had a great deal of time to spend learning it, but I plan on rectifying that on my day off (Friday). Mail was reasonably easy to set up for my Gmail account, which is nice. I might add my Yahoo account as well.

Congrats on your new Mac!! Just out of curiosity.. what did you get and from where? Something brand new should've have issues already.

Here's a few articles to check out on iMore that will get you started.

10 things every new Mac owner should know | iMore
Ten Mac apps you need to download right now! | iMore

ElenaCanada

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Congrats on the mac! I'm sure you will grow to LOVE it. Wish I could help you with your troubles. It is strange for a brand new one. I'm sure one of the more techy people will be able to sort you out.
:)

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Awesome! Macs are great. I was always a Windows person until I got my first MacBook Pro in May 2011. It just functions so much better and gives me far less problems than my Windows computers have (I had a Dell that ran XP that I recycled in June 2011 and still have a Windows 7 Sony VAIO). I definitely prefer using a Mac, whether it's for work or play. Hope you're enjoying your new MacBook!

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
If you just got it and there's a problem than I would take it to the nearest Apple Store and see what they say. Also you have 90 days of phone support. If this one is a keeper than I would get the extra AppleCare, it's worth it.

murphcid

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
The battery life is just nuts, wow! I am liking this laptop very much so far. I am also looking for a malware scanner, I have added Avast to the mac since I am all about security. It is actually a little more comfortable to type on than my HP linux Mint machine. Still getting used to the different commands from windows and linux.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
AppleCare on the phone is also spectacular. The added support from AppleCare and Apple Store Genius Bar make using a Mac so much easier. So sorry you ran into problems right out of the box! That should never happen. At least no crapware to uninstall.

murphcid

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I am really liking this thing. Again, I am astonished at the battery life, and while there are a few quirks compared to Windows (or even Linux), it is nothing that I cannot overcome. I am glad I made the purchase. Windows 10 Anniversary edition is the bane of my existance right now since it breaks webcams, and the spouse-unit's new laptop needs to have a working webcam so she can Skype with our oldest daughter away in college. The Mac on the other hand works wonderfully well.

murphcid

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I am loving it. I had to go to the apple store today so they could show me how to iMessage the kids on their iPhones from the laptop, and it is great. This laptop is rapdily becoming my daily driver, and *sob* I am thinking about an iMac next *OH NO!*

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on the new Mac :) Don't worry about "last year's model" -- you'll get many many years of use out of it! I bought two '15 models this year and couldn't be happier.

murphcid

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
After I had to return the new laptop to Best Buy since the webcam would not work (not the Mac, my wife's new HP), I started looking at the 5k iMac's, thinking, I really need one of these.... Nooooo! Where does the madness stop! I might even go to the Apple store again just to look. Or perhaps I will look for an older MacPro, you know the ones that look like real tower computers, not the round things. My Linux machine feels neglected, and my Winders machine feels old and stodgy.

I did make one change, I put the dock on one side, and I sort of like it there. And it is funny, I dislike iPhones (I use HTC phones), but love my iPads.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up a 2016 MacBook pro13 I also have the 2014 model in my office. I had picked up a Lenovo 910 first but after a few days and to many issues I returned it and got the mac. Can't go wrong with the MacBook strong laptop with little or no issues.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up a 2016 MacBook pro13 I also have the 2014 model in my office. I had picked up a Lenovo 910 first but after a few days and to many issues I returned it and got the mac. Can't go wrong with the MacBook strong laptop with little or no issues.

Excellent! congrats on the new MBP!

murphcid

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I had to use the little linux laptop today because it was lonely. I have been devoting all my time to my wonderful Macbook Pro system. I am really liking the system. I am getting more used to using it, and the fact that I can use terminal to do things is an added benefit. I think that I am going to save up for Microsoft Office to add to it, just so I can use the same software across my main platforms. Libre Office works great under the Mac. Why did I wait so long to get one? Oh yeah $$$$$.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice