How do you upload movies that are on dvds? Can they be uploaded to MacBook Pro or even one of the iPad pros?
    11-23-2016 01:35 PM
    How do you upload movies that are on dvds? Can they be uploaded to MacBook Pro or even one of the iPad pros?
    Movies can be uploaded very easily. I use Handbrake app to rip my movies for iTunes. Once in iTunes you can sync them to your phone. I also use iFlicks2 to add additional metadata to the files. But iFlicks2 is not necessary unless you really need it for metadata. Handbrake alone will do the job. Just rip it for the TV and you are all set.
    DarlaMack likes this.
    11-23-2016 02:26 PM
    Never tried, but I think VLC is a great option (because it's in other platforms at least)

VideoLAN - Official Download of VLC media player for iOS

With it I'm sure you can simply load the whole disc but also convert it from a pc or Mac.
    11-23-2016 02:31 PM
    I presume you mean, can you copy the DVD contents onto your Macbook Pro? I'm not sure if it's legally allowed to copy a DVD but lets say it is. You can always use VLC to just record what ever video is playing and that will be stored on your Macbook. The software is free and you just click the record button. Easy. Simple.

Important to note as @Marlene47 said

Warning!!!: It is necessary to check the DVD Copyright Infringement Laws in your countries, before ripping commecial DVDs.
    How can we upload a movie DVD?-screen-shot-2017-02-21-4.02.18-pm.png
    02-21-2017 09:03 AM
    Wouldn't the DVD be mine if I bought it. It's either I pay 7 or 10 dollars for a DVD on sale or buy it on iTunes for almost twice as much or more.
    02-22-2017 11:18 AM
    Wouldn't the DVD be mine if I bought it. It's either I pay 7 or 10 dollars for a DVD on sale or buy it on iTunes for almost twice as much or more.
    No. Not necessarily. DVDs are typically covered by copyright laws. Just because you own a physical copy of a movie doesn't mean you can do anything you want with it. For example, you can't show the movie publicly without a special license to do so.

So, as others have noted, check the copyright laws. Proceed with caution.
    02-22-2017 05:51 PM
    What I'm talking about is buying a movies on DVD, ripping to an external hard drive so I can watch it myself on my iPad Pro or tv. I'm not showing it to anyone else. I've seen dvds at truck stops for 4 for $20. A iTunes download will probably be 1 or 2 at that price.
    02-22-2017 06:51 PM
    Yes, I/we know what you are talking about.

Ripping a DVD to a hard drive may or may not be permitted under the copyright of the particular DVD even for your own use.

The applications suggested in this thread likely will work for you. Check them out and see.

Ripping them may or may not be legal. Proceed with at your own risk.

Alternately, many DVD movies come with a digital version using applications such as Ultralight.
    02-22-2017 07:26 PM
    So the bottom line is either buy the DVD and keep them in a stack and only take them when I need them or buy them on iTunes.
    02-22-2017 07:56 PM