Would you trade your NEW MacBook Pro for an older one?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Kind of a sly question here, but I know a lot of folks are a little upset about the Touch Bar. Some I've talked to in fact have said they'd ditch their new Touch Bar MBP for the previous gen. I suspect they're not alone, but I also suspect there are MANY that absolutely love it.

Would you consider the downgrade, or are you more than happy with the Touch Bar and all of the new features it brings?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
If I did have a MBP with the Touch Bar, I might consider trading it in for a last gen if there's not much functional 3rd party support out there. I say functional because I want the applications they offer to be valuable time savers, not gimmicks just to make use of the Touch Bar.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I am not an owner of the new MacBook Pro, but if I were, I still wouldn't swap it out for an older model, but that's Just Me, D....

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If I did have a MBP with the Touch Bar, I might consider trading it in for a last gen if there's not much functional 3rd party support out there. I say functional because I want the applications they offer to be valuable time savers, not gimmicks just to make use of the Touch Bar.

Seconded. I really think I'd get heavy use out of it with Photoshop, but can't say for sure. For now, quite happy with my current setup :)

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I haven't purchased a new MacBook Pro with touch bar (TB) yet, but I'm definitely considering doing so. As to whether I'd switch out a TB version for a non TB version, I'd have to say no - I really think that the TB will offer up a meaningful additional way of interacting with the computer. A local Best Buy had all three versions of the new MacBooks Pro in: both of the 13" ones (with and without the TB), and the 15" with TB and I was able to try them out. On the TB versions I opened/used both Pages and Safari to get a feel for the keyboard and the TB. The touch bar's context awareness is definitely a thing: without any apps open you're presented with the ESC key and function keys on it, upon opening Safari it switched to offering navigational browser options including a central 'key' (touch area) for entering a web address. Pressing that brought up a dialogue box on the computer screen for inputting a site, among other options IIRC. Also in the TB there was a 'key' for opening a new tab in Safari, then, at another point in Safari on the TB there were icons of sites that you could 'one click/touch' to navigate to, such as Google, Bing, or Facebook, and other sites that were also 'one touch' icons to navigate to (i.e. the 'favorites' section). There were also similar context sensitive/relevant options of the TB when I was using Pages. In my brief time at Best Buy using the new MacBooks Pro I got a sense of the TB's potential and could see how not only is there context awareness and different choices offered up on the TB between apps, but also different choices/options displayed on the TB depending upon where you are in an app and what you're doing at any one time in the app. As far as whether the TB is more/less of a gimmicky feature, or a useful additional method of interacting with the computer - that will be up to Apple, and app developers to work out. Imo though, the potential is certainly there for the TB to be something meaningful (useful).✌️

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Kind of a sly question here, but I know a lot of folks are a little upset about the Touch Bar. Some I've talked to in fact have said they'd ditch their new Touch Bar MBP for the previous gen. I suspect they're not alone, but I also suspect there are MANY that absolutely love it.

Would you consider the downgrade, or are you more than happy with the Touch Bar and all of the new features it brings?

I'll let you know if mine ever ships! :p

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't purchased a new MacBook Pro with touch bar (TB) yet, but I'm definitely considering doing so. As to whether I'd switch out a TB version for a non TB version, I'd have to say no - I really think that the TB will offer up a meaningful additional way of interacting with the computer. A local Best Buy had all three versions of the new MacBooks Pro in: both of the 13" ones (with and without the TB), and the 15" with TB and I was able to try them out. On the TB versions I opened/used both Pages and Safari to get a feel for the keyboard and the TB. The touch bar's context awareness is definitely a thing: without any apps open you're presented with the ESC key and function keys on it, upon opening Safari it switched to offering navigational browser options including a central 'key' (touch area) for entering a web address. Pressing that brought up a dialogue box on the computer screen for inputting a site, among other options IIRC. Also in the TB there was a 'key' for opening a new tab in Safari, then, at another point in Safari on the TB there were icons of sites that you could 'one click/touch' to navigate to, such as Google, Bing, or Facebook, and other sites that were also 'one touch' icons to navigate to (i.e. the 'favorites' section). There were also similar context sensitive/relevant options of the TB when I was using Pages. In my brief time at Best Buy using the new MacBooks Pro I got a sense of the TB's potential and could see how not only is there context awareness and different choices offered up on the TB between apps, but also different choices/options displayed on the TB depending upon where you are in an app and what you're doing at any one time in the app. As far as whether the TB is more/less of a gimmicky feature, or a useful additional method of interacting with the computer - that will be up to Apple, and app developers to work out. Imo though, the potential is certainly there for the TB to be something meaningful (useful).✌️

@Master - some great points you've made here. In the end I think it's still early days, and you're right, developers need time to work it. On top of that, people generally do not like change. Change is hard!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

No Ways! The touch Bar is awesome! :D

I tried the touch bar in one of the Apple stores and i wouldn't give it up for a older gen laptop. I would also be giving up that gorgeous new screen and also the MASSIVE touch pad. (which may or may not scare me a little) haha

Thomas Walcutt

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I might be in the minority. The touch bar is what excites me about this new MacBook. I really want one; I had the chance to get one in November, but didn't want wait till December. I ended up buying the 13 inch model right before this brand new one.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I might be in the minority. The touch bar is what excites me about this new MacBook. I really want one; I had the chance to get one in November, but didn't want wait till December. I ended up buying the 13 inch model right before this brand new one.

Have you been to the store to give it a try?

groy22799

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I don't think that it's about the functionality or lack there of at this point, but the potential of the TouchBar. Given time, I feel this is going to be a revolutionary addition to the MBP. Even though the new MBP does not out perform the previous by much, it is still an upgrade. Yes, there is the need for dongles to have the same connectivity options and there is no magsafe, but TB 3.1 is the future. In time, I think the industry will embrace TB 3.1/USB C and those that have invested in the new MBP will be glad they did...especially once the potential of the TouchBar is realized.

alphatectz

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I doubt it. I just ordered the new high end 13" w/ the touch bar. Should be coming to me sometime this week. I just need to find a good USB-c hub

semperidem

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
If I got one by some divine intervention, I wouldnt trade down, but I would likely keep my old MBP too. In all likelihood, I would turn it into a desktop replacement and leave it attached to the monitor and all the peripherals while using the new MBP for my main laptop, as I mostly work in various locations rather than at my home.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I doubt it. I just ordered the new high end 13" w/ the touch bar. Should be coming to me sometime this week. I just need to find a good USB-c hub

How in the world is yours coming this week when mine isn't scheduled to be delivered until the 20th-26th? I ordered mine Nov. 12th.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2