or maybe slower than Window's laptop
the Ram is not even DDR4.

then why?
can someone explain?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It's simple, people pay for it. If people didn't buy the products at that price Apple would have to drop the price to sell them. The fact that the prices are so high, and climbing, is that people are buying the products at that price. Simple economics.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Design, quality of materials and the great investment in R&D make Apple products more expensive than others. However, it you factor in the fact that Apple products regularly last twice as long as other manufacturers, it's actually cheaper per year to own Apple.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I just came from WP and Android and I was curious about this same question. I found one very valid reason. I entered the iPhone world with a 6s Plus bought from eBay against my better judgement. I took it to the local Apple Store in Gilbert, AZ and a young lady sat with me and went over it in great detail. She tested the hardware and software. She found that the mic up top and the main speaker at bottom failed the test. My mood changed to worry and she said she would take it in the back and clean out both ports and see if it helped. It did and it passed all tests. I spent over 30 minutes with her and it cost me zilch. That support does not come cheap. There were about a dozen Apple people running around helping people with problems, answering questions and yes, sell new phones.

I now know one very large reason their hardware and support costs. I think it's worth it.

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Especially the new Macbook Pro 2016
It kinda makes no sense why its so expensive,
the CPU is the same as other Window's laptop

then why?
can someone explain?

Resale on Apple products is really good, support is s awesome, build quality, and they just last longer.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The value of a product is what the customer is willing to pay for it. As others have said, Apple products are priced as they are because we are willing to pay the price. Apple makes big claims, and they back it up by delivering.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

then why?
can someone explain?

Here is how Apple breaks down their pricing.

Macbook Pro 13" = $999

+ Apple Brand Name = $350
+ Quality Assurance = $100
+ Apple Tax = $150
+ Early Adopters Fee = $150

Rounds to around $1,799 for the entry level laptop. I think most of the cost come from having the highest possible storage speed, the new touch bar, having a P3 spec screen which isn't common and also having a form factor thats really light and portable. Also, if every single person was able to afford a Macbook it wouldn't be as special. So i think thats why Apple is also doing it. (just my opinion)

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Here is how Apple breaks down their pricing.

Macbook Pro 13" = $999

+ Apple Brand Name = $350
+ Quality Assurance = $100
+ Apple Tax = $150
+ Early Adopters Fee = $150

Rounds to around $1,799 for the entry level laptop. I think most of the cost come from having the highest possible storage speed, the new touch bar, having a P3 spec screen which isn't common and also having a form factor thats really light and portable. Also, if every single person was able to afford a Macbook it wouldn't be as special. So i think thats why Apple is also doing it. (just my opinion)

I don't think that Apple is deliberately pricing things high just so that fewer people can afford it. However, other brands tend to deliberately cut corners to lower the price so that more people can afford it. Apple doesn't do that.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
What is interesting to me is that the Microsoft Surface, Dell XPS 13, and the new HP Spector are also in the sale price range. Apple clearly makes a profit on every computer sold. I understand that with most windows PC - they don't make any money on the selling price, and it is only the crapware where they can actually make a little profit. IBM just started letting it workers use Macs, and after a year, they said the Macs were cheaper! More upfront to buy but fewer support calls and less failure rate. None of this takes away the sting of looking at a Mac (or iPad or iPhone or display) you want and not being able to afford it.

Simona Dots

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Computers are just too good nowadays, most users are already satisfied, and so the market for new PCs inevitably shrinks. And when you can’t have growth in total sales, the logical move is to try and improve the other multiplier in the profit calculation: the per-unit price and built-in profit margin. That's been Apple's approach for a while, and now Microsoft is joining in.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

then why?
can someone explain?

It really doesn't matter. As a consumer, you can either choose to buy their products or choose not to buy them. Still, if you want something bad enough, you'll buy it, regardless of the price. We've all done it, whether it was a tech product, a car, a house or an outfit.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I'd recommend doing a comparison based on Microsoft Surface Book v MacBook Pro. I know they are a little bit different, as one is a detachable tablet, however for me here in Australia, it helped me to justify the price of the MacBook Pro.

The other vector for me, is that my last laptop purchase was a MacBook Air 13", that is still going strong (but not strong enough to avoid an upgrade this year), that is 5+ years of daily use (I travel quite a bit with work, so it's had a hard life). I expect to get a similar duration out of this new hardware, and I've never had that with any PC based laptop in the past.

PS - This was typed on my 24 hour old MacBook Pro, that I love, they keyboard is far better than I was hoping, for me it's dam near perfect.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods