Why would they get rid of Mag-Safe?

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand this. Such a great feature and it baffles me that they did this just for another USB port, that won't be used for anything other than charging the machine most of the time. A really stupid decision in my opinion.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I think they wanted to have only one definition of a port, and not multiple. Also every port can now be used to charge.

I think there will be solutions to enable a mag-safe like functionality. It's already there for the iPhone with a magsafe plug that you put on your lightning chords and a small dongle that you put in the phones lightning port. Although then you have one port less if you keep that dongle in that usb-c port constantly.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think they wanted to have only one definition of a port, and not multiple. Also every port can now be used to charge.

I think there will be solutions to enable a mag-safe like functionality. It's already there for the iPhone with a magsafe plug that you put on your lightning chords and a small dongle that you put in the phones lightning port. Although then you have one port less if you keep that dongle in that usb-c port constantly.

I agree. It was a poor decision on Apple's part of you ask me. The MagSafe port was truly revolutionary. I can't tell you how many times my Late 2013 MacBook Pro has been saved by it, especially having small children running around constantly tripping over the cord. As you said, there will be third party solutions.

wkelly24

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not only do they not have the mag connection, they didn't include an extension cord for the power supply. All my outlets are under my desk, so it would be a pain when I have to travel. I currently feed the extension cable of my MBP through a hole in the desk so its easy to unplug the power block and slap on the short plug adapter.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Not only do they not have the mag connection, they didn't include an extension cord for the power supply. All my outlets are under my desk, so it would be a pain when I have to travel. I currently feed the extension cable of my MBP through a hole in the desk so its easy to unplug the power block and slap on the short plug adapter.

that's a pity, because in the european version the extension cable does have a ground pin, while the short plug doesn't. Everytime you touch your macbook you feel a kind of vibe because the device is not grounded correctly...

olearydan

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I can see both sides of the argument and I'm betting it wasn't an easy decision. Personally I like the uniformity of ports and I think in the not to distant future we will be happy with the USB-C connections all around the machine. I believe Apple sees it as the one port to rule them all. It's just a little ahead of its time which is also Apple's MO. The downside is yes you'll have to think a little more about where your power cord is hanging, but I think the benefits outweigh that one drawback.

vectro73

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The main reason of almost all new "innovations" in this generation of macbooks is money. Second reason is trying to get innovation in a place where there is no such things. That's why most of the changes they implemented are rather regressions than innovations. Just imagine - magsafe was a feature. Feature out of the box. What did we get instead? Ability to charge device through any of the usb port? But what prevented them of doing it without removing magsafe? Nothing.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
i like the fact that all the ports look the same but i wish they fere able to somehow implement magsafe the the usb c charger.
All is not lost. griffin or belkin has the break safe charger which sort of emulates the magsafe capability with usb c

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
The USB-C doesn't bother me. All i would need is an SD dongle. But, removing the mag-safe was a horrible move...
#bringbackmagsafe

Posted via the iMore App for Android

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I agree it's a huge loss. I'm sure I would be fine with USB-C, and I know it's connected to the idea that these devices should eventually have good enough battery that you basically charge overnight, then leave the cord at home; but we're not there yet, and in the meantime Magsafe is one of the coolest things on the MacBook. It's one of those small, excellent details that make Apple's laptops special.

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Money and "innovation" (inconvenience). Watch Apple come up with their own magsafe adapter for USB-C, it will be "magical" and they will "think we are really going to love it".

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, finally Apple has settled for a non-proprietary charging solution…
I think Gruber put it best: "I think what it gets down to is that Apple sees the future as being battery-only while using it. Charge it like your phone — overnight — and then just go all day. And I also see the beauty in having just four USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports that all work the same way."

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
When I met my wife, before I converted her, she was a PC girl. The one good thing she could say about Macs when I met her is that MagSafe was a brilliant idea. (At that time she almost broke up with me when she needed a computer and I offered to buy her a MacBook.)

ElenaCanada

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I know! I was not happy about that. The amount of times that has saved people's laptops is more than you can count! And it's not like they couldn't have made it for it. If I get a Pro, I will probably buy a third-party one. Like Belkin makes them I believe.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I just don't understand this. Such a great feature and it baffles me that they did this just for another USB port, that won't be used for anything other than charging the machine most of the time. A really stupid decision in my opinion.

Agreed, i feel the Mag Safe port was so great because you didn't have to worry about tripping on the cable since it would just pull out and not fling your laptop halfway across the room. I do understand they trying to implement versatility by allowing all ports to now be charging ports but i still prefer the Mag Safe.

Apple Have definitely god backwards in some areas, but in others they have excelled and thats why i love them.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree. It was a poor decision on Apple's part of you ask me. The MagSafe port was truly revolutionary. I can't tell you how many times my Late 2013 MacBook Pro has been saved by it, especially having small children running around constantly tripping over the cord. As you said, there will be third party solutions.

Agreed on how revolutionary it was. I can't count the number of times the MagSafe protected my MBP from falling to the floor because of my kids and/or cats.

I do like the forward-thinking of the USB-C though. As an Android user, I like that I can connect my Nexus devices directly to a new MacBook USB-C to USB-C. I thought I saw on Amazon (and I'm sure there's others) where there was a 3rd party MagSafe alternative that works with USB-C's.

shess03

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
They got rid of the magsafe for the same reason they got rid of all the other ports.. to make it thinner and quicker. Would have been nice to get a USB-C type magsafe, but now the third party brands will benefit!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox