MacBook Pro or iPad Pro?

Which should I get?

• Total voters

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the MBP would win every time...because it can do everything that an iPad pro can do but the reverse is not true.. As far as portability is concerned, a few more grams and inches shouldn't be much of a problem I think...go for it. Unless, of course cost is a factor...

vectro73

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
What is worrying you? It's a different interface but with cloud storage it's easy for the majority of users to overcome not having a traditional file system.

Hmm...You just can't do a lot of things on iPad Pro and cloud service is not the best choice:
1. Cloud storage costs additional money if we are talking about icloud
2. 3rd party CS apps, like Mega, have problems with saving and opening files on the device
3. Backgroud tasks are still very limited on iOs
4. Advanced web browsing with plugins, advanced photo-video editing with multi-monitor setup are not possible
5. Developing, even simple enough
6. Sending files to my eBook or Music Player (not iPod)
7. Really productive multitasking with a lot of windows, tabs and displays connected (even for work with text and writing an article it is worse on iOs)
8. You can run windows if you need it sometimes on mac
9. You can find any app you want without app store and a lot of them are free or have trial period if you need it once - this all is possible only on mac
10. I still think mobile gaming is stupid waste of time, but there are some interesting games on mac (or windows, remember?)

So, enough. Mac is just better here. iPad would be an option, if it had desktop-class OS, for now - it is just a toy.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the input everyone! It's interesting to see such a split. I definitely have to do some more considering!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm...You just can't do a lot of things on iPad Pro and cloud service is not the best choice:
2. 3rd party CS apps, like Mega, have problems with saving and opening files on the device
4. Advanced web browsing with plugins, advanced photo-video editing with multi-monitor setup are not possible
7. Really productive multitasking with a lot of windows, tabs and displays connected (even for work with text and writing an article it is worse on iOs)
9. You can find any app you want without app store and a lot of them are free or have trial period if you need it once - this all is possible only on mac
10. I still think mobile gaming is stupid waste of time, but there are some interesting games on mac (or windows, remember?)

So, enough. Mac is just better here. iPad would be an option, if it had desktop-class OS, for now - it is just a toy.

True, but I think that for some users--specifically those with very basic needs--the iPad Pro could work. The OP has very basic needs. If money was a concern buying an iPad Pro could save a lot of money, even with a $0.99/month iCloud plan. Is it ideal for all situations? Absolutely not. I mean, there's a reason I have both. In the end, every use case is unique.

Honestly, you bring up some very good points. I just don't think they apply to ALL users.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Excellent summary, but those items don't fit everyone. Otherwise there would be no such thing as an iPad Pro. I personally couldn't do with just an iPad Pro but in the case of the OP it's enough for what they need so that's what I voted for!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Not to muddy the waters, but here's another thought -- if you're looking at the iPad Pro, the MacBook (non-pro) may be more comparable and will save you money as well. Definitely portable :)

Justinj01

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
iPad Pro is probably your best bet, a lot of people are looking to replace a laptop with it, but we're not there, however, your needs fit the iPad Pro being better.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Not to muddy the waters, but here's another thought -- if you're looking at the iPad Pro, the MacBook (non-pro) may be more comparable and will save you money as well. Definitely portable :)

That's a good point. I guess I just want to be as "future-proof" as possible. I'd love for whatever I get to last me 5,6,7 years or more.

niharikasarma

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I would definitely go for the MacBook Pro. A laptop offers far more versatility than the iPad Pro. Also, the MacBook pro has a port for connection to projector (I forget the name), and cables for iPads allowing the same function are expensive. Also, making powerpoints and presentations is far easier on a laptop.

I just prefer laptops overall, so perhaps I'm a bit biased.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234