Macbook Pro 2016 to replace Macbook Air?

lionelwolfe

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I heard (rumours?) that the base model MacBook Pro 2016 was designed to bring about the end of the MacBook Air line. I was looking forward to seeing an upgraded MacBook Air and don't know what to make of it. Can anyone shed any light on this? Also, I wanted to see what other people's thoughts are on this.

Thanks

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I didn't hear definitively if the MacBook Air is being phased out, but since Apple is marketing the 13" and 15" MBP's, as well as marketing the 12" MacBook, I would think the Air is likely done for.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I didn't hear definitively if the MacBook Air is being phased out, but since Apple is marketing the 13" and 15" MBP's, as well as marketing the 12" MacBook, I would think the Air is likely done for.

I agree. No news isn't exactly good news. I think that they're positioning the MacBook as the more affordable SKU and the Pro as the premium end of the lineup.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I still love the MacBook Air. I am willing to trade the poor screen for longer battery life. And I hear that the Core M chip really does not perform at the level of the core Is. I hope the air stays around for a while longer. The new 13 inch non touch bar MacBook pro does seem to be essentially a retina MacBook Air (even same weight), but battery is less at 8 vs 11 hours and cost is much more at $1500 vs $1000.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I heard (rumours?) that the base model MacBook Pro 2016 was designed to bring about the end of the MacBook Air line. I was looking forward to seeing an upgraded MacBook Air and don't know what to make of it. Can anyone shed any light on this? Also, I wanted to see what other people's thoughts are on this.

Thanks

Apple did say it was meant to be an upgrade for the MacBook Air line. (Not Replacing)
Its got the same 12 hour battery that the Air 13" has. So you aren't loosing any power.

i know apple advertises 10 hours, but they would never say 'Hey guys, our cheaper model has better battery life. But don't buy that. Buy the one thats more expensive with less.' lol

If you are coming from a 13" Macbook Air, i would say is a very nice upgrade. :)

lionelwolfe

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I do hope they decide to continue with the Air lineup. The MacBook Air always appealed to me because of its price, power and portability. If they don't announce something in March/April it really might be the end of the line.

The 12 inch MacBook would be absolutely perfect if only it had a slightly more powerful processor. My brother has the 2015 model of the 12 inch MacBook and he's always complaining that it gets laggy very quickly e.g. >10 tabs open on safari.

Justinj01

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure it makes sense for them to continue the line, other than allowing the current model continued with small tweaks and upgrades here and there. The new MBP is more pricey, but size-wise, you won't get anything smaller if you're looking for portability.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73