Why is the new MacBook Pro so expensive?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why is the new MacBook Pro so expensive

I do not know. I assume, however, that Apple feels that the price is appropriate for the product it is selling. If enough consumers buy it then they will be proven correct, but if consumers shun it en masse then they will be proven wrong...

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

The MacBook PRO line is a premium line with a premium price. Keep in mind the old model is being kept around with the same price point and it will still beat the pants off of most of the competition.

Acmore

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

They have always been expensive. Compare the prices to the surface books. I think the Macs are a better deal. I have been very happy with the dependability of Macs and think it makes up for their price, so does IBM. There are options out there so if they are to expensive go get another machine, Windows, Linux Chromebook you have options.

alxgcs

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site

Quite saddened that they increased the price so drastically this time around :(

Would also have liked a 15 inch with the regular function keys instead of all of them having the (expensive) Touch Bar

Breuklen

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site

For me it's a head-scratcher. I already expected premium pricing for the new Macs. But this is ridiculous. Given the high entry costs and the takeaways, I can't see myself getting another Mac any time soon, if ever again.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

the price has gone up so much why is this

Thats a good question. Over the past few years Apple has been fairly consistent with their pricing. Maybe the price of the 'Touch Bar' is much more than we anticipate?. Apple price things very strategically based on their other products and they don't want prices overlapping. Otherwise some products may be left out.. :) (Just My Opinion)

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

Would also have liked a 15 inch with the regular function keys instead of all of them having the (expensive) Touch Bar

Luckily Apple have provided the 13" inch version with the nomad function keys. I think having 4 different versions of the same laptop was just too many models and people might get confused.
Sure its got a little less power and less ports but its still a little better than the 2015 Macbook Pros :)

samosIM

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Why is the new MacBook Pro so expensive

Pricing, for me is in-line with what I typically buy when I upgrade. I tend to max out, but this time I know the 2TB SSD drive is more than I need. My last Retina MacBook Pro 15" (early 2013 I believe) totaled about $5000. So, with Apple Care + will be about $4000, I believe.

The lower end options are apparently significantly higher in price than earlier. I suggest doing a careful spec comparison if it is a U.S. purchase. If the purchase is outside the U.S., check the foreign exchange rate (at the time you made your earlier purchase vs. now). Another consideration is any additional transaction fee imposed by the foreign country.

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

They're still selling the 2015s if you want that.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I do not know. I assume, however, that Apple feels that the price is appropriate for the product it is selling. If enough consumers buy it then they will be proven correct, but if consumers shun it en masse then they will be proven wrong...
It's already being heavily discounted by third parties, so it's hard to use this logic to justify the price. People may buy it only because they could get $250-300+ off from a third party like Amazon... That doesn't mean it justifies the price. Quite the opposite. The price at the point of sales needs to be considered, not simply "did they buy one."

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

No way that R&D money was worth $300 a device. $100 maybe...

R&D isn't done on a "per device sold" basis. Also, I doubt there is much R&D they had to do for this, considering the tech they used had already been used in other devices like the Apple Watch and iPhone.

$100 per device is beyond laughable. $300 is criminal.

Apple is starting to look like the Mylan (EpiPen) of PC manufacturers, at this point.

In fact, your "R&D" excuse is exactly the type of B.S. they were peddling.

If R&D cost that much, imagine how much a Surface Book would have cost for the base model if Microsoft had used that logic? $2,299?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

It's already being heavily discounted by third parties, so it's hard to use this logic to justify the price. People may buy it only because they could get $250-300+ off from a third party like Amazon... That doesn't mean it justifies the price. Quite the opposite. The price at the point of sales needs to be considered, not simply "did they buy one."

I thought I answered the question with "I don't know", followed by an "assumption" that can be proven or disproven by how well it sells or don't sell.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I thought I answered the question with "I don't know", followed by an "assumption" that can be proven or disproven by how well it sells or don't sell.

That terrible assumption validates the first statement. My reply wasn't to you :not knowing," it was in response to the assumption that followed that statement.

It's an assumption that simply doesn't exist because the numbers don't work out that way. They are too obviously misleading.

This is like Amazon saying the Fire Phone was a success even though they sold 80% of them when it was discounted down to $1-200 (from an initial $650 retail price).

It doesn't work that way. Pricing yourself too high costs you sales as people who are looking for a new PC are more likely to just buy a competing device as a result; in this case, probably running a completely different platform - which can affect sales in other areas for obvious reasons.

I think Apple just thinks the devices are worth that much. If they feel that, then that's something they'll have to contend with. Typically, they are fairly stern with their pricing, so expecting them to drop them (at least drop them in a relatively low span of time) is a bit foolish [IMO]. They're going to stick with the pricing. This isn't an iPhone situation where they are trying to get into a new market.

They also don't have many advantages to lean on, either. Windows notebooks have fantastic battery life, precision trackpads, great keyboards and top notch hardware/design, as well. Basically you're paying a premium for macOS and the Apple Brand... I'm not sure that's the best selling point in the current market.

red5gary

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site

I'm guessing because of new tech, new parts. Cost of producing them has probably gone up. Cost of shipping parts. The Apple name is never affordable.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

That terrible assumption validates the first statement. My reply wasn't to you :not knowing," it was in response to the assumption that followed that statement.

It's an assumption that simply doesn't exist because the numbers don't work out that way. They are too obviously misleading.

This is like Amazon saying the Fire Phone was a success even though they sold 80% of them when it was discounted down to $1-200 (from an initial $650 retail price).

It doesn't work that way. Pricing yourself too high costs you sales as people who are looking for a new PC are more likely to just buy a competing device as a result; in this case, probably running a completely different platform - which can affect sales in other areas for obvious reasons.

I think Apple just thinks the devices are worth that much. If they feel that, then that's something they'll have to contend with. Typically, they are fairly stern with their pricing, so expecting them to drop them (at least drop them in a relatively low span of time) is a bit foolish [IMO]. They're going to stick with the pricing. This isn't an iPhone situation where they are trying to get into a new market.

They also don't have many advantages to lean on, either. Windows notebooks have fantastic battery life, precision trackpads, great keyboards and top notch hardware/design, as well. Basically you're paying a premium for macOS and the Apple Brand... I'm not sure that's the best selling point in the current market.

You stated that the "newest" MacBook Pro devices have already been significantly dropped in price by some sellers? Please display a few links backing that up. As for my assumption, it is not terrible, but hey, if you see it that way, so be it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend...��

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods