Why is the new MacBook Pro so expensive?

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why is the new MacBook Pro so expensive

Did you know that Apple hasn't raised the price of the MacBook Pro since it's induction by Steve Jobs in '06? Did you also notice that only when you can't afford to buy something is it overpriced? Please haters go buy all the $300 dollar Windows laptops your heart desires, it will just make the line at The Apple Store that much shorter for when I go to pick up my new 15" MBP ... ;)

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

R&D isn't done on a "per device sold" basis. Also, I doubt there is much R&D they had to do for this, considering the tech they used had already been used in other devices like the Apple Watch and iPhone.

$100 per device is beyond laughable. $300 is criminal.

Apple is starting to look like the Mylan (EpiPen) of PC manufacturers, at this point.

In fact, your "R&D" excuse is exactly the type of B.S. they were peddling.

If R&D cost that much, imagine how much a Surface Book would have cost for the base model if Microsoft had used that logic? $2,299?
Did you quote the wrong post? I'm with you. I'm so angry about the prices of these devices.

Apple is making laptops a luxury, which is criminal in a generation still falling in the realm of Moore's Law.

Jamieson Jann

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site

Is the price increase on the base model just due to 256gb SSD being the base now? When I upgraded the 2015 version from 128 to 256, the price is the same as the 2016 update.

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

The prices don't surprise me anymore. It's expensive? Yes it is. And it will be always expensive. Maybe apple find that the prices are fair for the product they are selling or maybe they know that apple is a major company and although the price they gonna sell it. Steve Jobs once have said they don't make cheap so... yeah.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

Luckily Apple have provided the 13" inch version with the nomad function keys. I think having 4 different versions of the same laptop was just too many models and people might get confused.
Sure its got a little less power and less ports but its still a little better than the 2015 Macbook Pros :)
This is Apple doing the equivalent of the 16Gb iPhone again - sure there is a cheaper model but we know you'll hate yourself for buying it because as well as not having the touch bar, we've put in slower RAM, a much slower CPU and a worse graphics set. I don't see anything lucky about this for buyers! It's the classic Apple upsell with bells on!

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

You stated that the "newest" MacBook Pro devices have already been significantly dropped in price by some sellers? Please display a few links backing that up. As for my assumption, it is not terrible, but hey, if you see it that way, so be it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend...��
It was up with pretty nice discounts immediately after launch at several retailers. It was all over the tech press.

I'm not in the mood (and don't have the time) to scour for links right now. I have no reason to lie about this. It's a trivial matter, to be frank.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Did you know that Apple hasn't raised the price of the MacBook Pro since it's induction by Steve Jobs in '06? Did you also notice that only when you can't afford to buy something is it overpriced? Please haters go buy all the $300 dollar Windows laptops your heart desires, it will just make the line at The Apple Store that much shorter for when I go to pick up my new 15" MBP ... ;)

I can get whatever computer I want, whenever I want. It's not about not being able to afford something. Even people with money to burn want to extract what they perceive as justifiable value out of those dollars.

If you think this is an issue of not being able to afford something, you're off your rocker. The MacBook Pro and macOS isn't better enough than a Surface Book and Windows 10 to justify paying a $300+ premium right out of the gate for a less flexible machine simply because they added an OLED bar and the company selling them is named "Apple."

For people locked into Apple's ecosystem, this is a shame, because it means they will have no choice but to pay the prices. If you're using FCPX and LPX you won't be able to switch off to a comparable (and cheaper) Windows machine without overrunning the savings in Software licensing fees.

Check Mate.

Personally, I think they're just trying extract revenue out of their PCs to make up for some of the falling revenues in other areas of their business (like iPads and iPhones). This is the only other area where they can reliably do this. I actually think Apple's PC users are more fiercely devoted than their smartphone users; and in many cases, definitely more invested.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

The prices don't surprise me anymore. It's expensive? Yes it is. And it will be always expensive. Maybe apple find that the prices are fair for the product they are selling or maybe they know that apple is a major company and although the price they gonna sell it. Steve Jobs once have said they don't make cheap so... yeah.

Expensive is okay if you're getting your money's worth.

Clearly that is a subjective matter, but the distinction is worth making.

I'm okay paying more for a BMW than a Corolla, for that very reason. No one complains that their BMW is too expensive, because they feel like they are getting the value for the dollar spent, and it goes beyond "brand recognition" (otherwise Tesla would never have sold any cars, cause they'd have failed instantly due to being an upstart). If Toyota upped the price on the Corolla by 15% and added nothing but a sunroof, then people would look at it the same way they're looking at the new MacBook pricing.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Did you quote the wrong post? I'm with you. I'm so angry about the prices of these devices.

Apple is making laptops a luxury, which is criminal in a generation still falling in the realm of Moore's Law.

Honestly, both Apple and Microsoft are doing this. Microsoft also discontinued it's Surface 3 to sell more Pro and Book SKUs.

Other manufacturers are starting to discover that "Metal + High Prices" = premium to a lot of people... Thanks to none other than Apple.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

This is Apple doing the equivalent of the 16Gb iPhone again - sure there is a cheaper model but we know you'll hate yourself for buying it because as well as not having the touch bar, we've put in slower RAM, a much slower CPU and a worse graphics set. I don't see anything lucky about this for buyers! It's the classic Apple upsell with bells on!

LOL, ah this made me laugh.

'but we know you'll hate yourself for buying it'

Its so true! ^_^ Spending all that money and then you don't even get the thing that new. Apple will always be Apple.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Why is the new MacBook Pro so expensive

Apple puts its price on a stratospheric high bar because people buy it. Simple like that! Company doesn't care about massive sales, it do care about massive profits on low volume units. That's Apple way of life.

Look, in this single thread there are passionate people defending until death Apple's right to put obscene high prices on this products. So, why change? Why make cheaper computers, iPhones and iPads? I know two guys who hates iPhone SE because it is a "cheaper" iPhone. Well, I don't know in your countries, but in mine you simply can't put "cheap" and "iPhone" on the same sentence. Never! Even SE is much more pricey than, say, a Galaxy S7 Edge, here. But that people doesn't like it because it isn't that expensive as a regular iPhone 7.

So that's it. People are very strange animals who likes to pay more just to show they can. Because of it Apple puts high prices on its products. Because is about this type of client they do care, not about us who complain about their prices and do months of cut-spending just to change iPhone once in 4-5 years...

Cheers,

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

Well, you would say that when you snip one part of a post out to set of a ridiculous ad hominem. Nice try?
Who's trying what?... You're the one trying be a baller with no dollars ...
Apple makes something you want, and you don't have the money to buy one, so the only thing left for you to do is come on here and complain about how unfair, and overpriced Apple is. People who can afford Apple products have no problem with Apples pricing that's why their stores are jam packed from open to close, 7 days a week, and Apple is one of if not the largest corp in the world ...

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

The ad hominem.

You're fanning so hard that you're making it personal. You're trying to troll me. That's what I meant.

I'm not sure if I'm a baller, but I certainly not lacking dollars.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

[WARN]Please keep the conversation respectful. There's nothing wrong with a debate but insults will not be tolerated. Thanks.[/WARN]

Breuklen

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site

The ad hominem.

You're fanning so hard that you're making it personal. You're trying to troll me. That's what I meant.

I'm not sure if I'm a baller, but I certainly not lacking dollars.

I don't understand why people don't realize it's about the price matching the product and most importantly, the customer's needs. I have a relatively new MBA, so there's no way to justify getting this new, over-priced machine. The first MBA in our home was an extravagant, impulse buy that won't be repeated.

It's these same wannabe ballers that are drowning in debt, ducking bill collectors, yet carrying around the latest smartphones, portables and wolfin' down $25+ salads.*

* Yes, I'm a cranky old man that pines for the old days of responsible spending & getting your money's worth at the same time

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why is the new MacBook Pro so expensive

I've learned long ago that what doesn't make sense to some people makes perfect sense to others......Apple is a company that has positioned itself as a company that makes premium products and outstanding customer service. With that in mind, premium doesn't necessarily equate to better because better is subjective to the individual. It's the same with justification. Some people can't justify paying the price of a MacBook Pro when they can get a better spec'd Windows laptop. On the other hand, some people can justify getting the MacBook in lieu of the Windows laptop and it has nothing to do with Apple loyalty. Some people simply "prefer" the MacBook to the Windows laptop. Yes, it's really that simple for some people. Too many people spend too much time trying to find justification for what someone else chooses to purchase in comparison to what they'd purchase, and the simplest of reasons, preference and satisfaction, are often too difficult for them to accept. What doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

I've learned long ago that what doesn't make sense to some people makes perfect sense to others......Apple is a company that has positioned itself as a company that makes premium products and outstanding customer service. With that in mind, premium doesn't necessarily equate to better because better is subjective to the individual. It's the same with justification. Some people can't justify paying the price of a MacBook Pro when they can get a better spec'd Windows laptop. On the other hand, some people can justify getting the MacBook in lieu of the Windows laptop and it has nothing to do with Apple loyalty. Some people simply "prefer" the MacBook to the Windows laptop. Yes, it's really that simple for some people. Too many people spend too much time trying to find justification for what someone else chooses to purchase in comparison to what they'd purchase, and the simplest of reasons, preference and satisfaction, are often too difficult for them to accept. What doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others.

Perfect! It is just that! In fact I do prefer Mac over Windows, simple like that. And don't have to justify it for anybody. When I decide to buy a new MacBook I'll do it. And that's all!

Again: perfect post!

Cheers,

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen