No SD card slot, am I the only one upset over this?

iGore313

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I find it pretty annoying. Especially since the computers are getting more expensive, then I have to go out and buy an SD reader on top of it. I use the SD slot a lot.

Nomatiti

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
But if you carry hard drives and stuff it isn't big problem to carry few adapters or hub. Or swap the cable on the hard drive if it has a swappable cable.

rudedog68

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
My Canon 70D has wifi but it's slow and not quickly accessed from the menu. I could understand if cameras had wifi or BT and were fast. But com'n Apple most cameras aren't there yet. It's really another thing to remove to feed Apple's appetite for thinness.

iGore313

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My Canon 70D has wifi but it's slow and not quickly accessed from the menu. I could understand if cameras had wifi or BT and were fast. But com'n Apple most cameras aren't there yet. It's really another thing to remove to feed Apple's appetite for thinness.

i agree. My Fuji has WiFi but its not as practical as plugging in the memory card to the computer.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I have become a USB-C believer (although I own none yet). I see the profession from multiple differentiated ports to a single universal port to be a major breakthrough. The move to USB was just an amazing advance - getting rid of ports for keyboard and the mouse and printer and headphones and microphone. I use a sd card reader every day, but not everyone does. For them a dedicated sd card is a waste.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have become a USB-C believer (although I own none yet). I see the profession from multiple differentiated ports to a single universal port to be a major breakthrough. The move to USB was just an amazing advance - getting rid of ports for keyboard and the mouse and printer and headphones and microphone. I use a sd card reader every day, but not everyone does. For them a dedicated sd card is a waste.

That problem with that statement is that USB stands for Universal Serial Bus, meaning since the start of USB it was supposed to be universal. USB-C though seems to be first iteration that may actually become universal.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That problem with that statement is that USB stands for Universal Serial Bus, meaning since the start of USB it was supposed to be universal. USB-C though seems to be first iteration that may actually become universal.

Very true. Once the accessory makers really embrace USB-C it will be a game changer. If iOS hardware ever moves to USB-C it will be an even bigger game changer. I think Apple is trying to force progress forward by going all in with USB-C on the new MacBook Pro. They've always had to propensity for steering the market and they usually get their way. In a couple of years we'll be talking about how great USB-C is and how that archaic headphone jack used to get in our way.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I get it. We're moving into a wireless world but c'mon, no SD card slot? For real? I won't even get into how you need a dongle to connect your iPhone now, someone else can rant about that.

iPhone's haven't needed to be physically connected to the computer for a while now. They're able to sync via wifi (albeit slowly.) As far as the SD problem, I'd blame the camera companies more than anything. The fact that they don't have a better way to sync photos to a computer than they did a decade ago is treacherous.

anon(9952201)

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I get it. We're moving into a wireless world but c'mon, no SD card slot? For real? I won't even get into how you need a dongle to connect your iPhone now, someone else can rant about that.

yea I'm quite mad because I'm constantly traveling as a photographer and video editing my trip is hard without and sd card reader... macbook pro is not so much pro

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me

I would have missed it desperately until September. Since then I've switched from shooting with my DSLR to my iPhone 7, and I just AirDrop.

If I need to shoot with my DSLR again, though, I'll miss it plenty plenty.

Shaun_Ot

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
It's a toss up for me, when I do need to unload photos from my camera, I tend to use a USB3 reader, as the built-in SD slot is slow, but in my MacBook pro I have one of the flush MicroSD holders (I think it is the HyperDrive one, I can't remember) and keep a 128GB MicroSD card in there at all time just for a place to off-load things.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro