No SD card slot, am I the only one upset over this?

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I get it. We're moving into a wireless world but c'mon, no SD card slot? For real? I won't even get into how you need a dongle to connect your iPhone now, someone else can rant about that.

macropanda

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm not happy with it at all. Need adapters now for everything you take with you. Phones, hard drives, SD cards.
It's no longer a portable device.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I get it. We're moving into a wireless world but c'mon, no SD card slot? For real? I won't even get into how you need a dongle to connect your iPhone now, someone else can rant about that.

Literally use mine every single day. I know some cameras have bluetooth and more 'fancy things' but the majority don't. As usual Apple removes ports and charge more... AND we have to get adapters lol

But i will still buy, because I'm so blinded by my love for Apple lol

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
What I'm actually more upset about is the removal of the 'Glowing Apple' logo at the back. It's been there for about 8 years. why change that? now its just a piece of metal. :(

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
It makes no sense to me. I'm fine with the USB-C ports, buts it's like they got rid of it just for the sake of getting rid of it. It sucks.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I prefer that metal  look!
And external SD card readers exist

That's what I'm thinking, but I don't use it often. For those like @Matty that use it every day, it's not as convenient for sure.

Losing ports was one of the reasons I didn't worry too much about getting the 2015 models earlier this year when I did. The touch bar sounded like a cool idea but I got good pricing on sale and I knew what ports it came with. The way they were going with the MacBook worried me a bit. Next time I'm due for new machines it'll be all new considerations :)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm upset about it, not even so much that just SD card reader is gone, as others have stated, you need adapters for everything now. I blame Apple for this since they didn't make the iPhone USB-C, I already had to have a separate CD drive, however that was the only extra device needed. As much as I want a new MacBook, the cost to get one to suit my needs storage wise, plus the cost of all new extras, adds up to Apple must think me insane to purchase it.

ksc6000#AC

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I am seriously so glad I got the XPS 15 now. I was having post purchase regret because I didn't realize for some reason that the new macbooks were arriving. I was thinking "oh great, just when I buy this thing, Apple is gonna come out w/ a machine that'll destroy this, and I just bought it!". But I guess I should be happy that I paid about 1500 (due to a 35% off deal I snagged) for a xps 15 with a 4k touchscreen with 100% adobe rgb, 1TB ssd, 16 gb RAM, 2 gb nvidia card, i7-6700HQ processor..and of course - a mother trucking SD card slot! Are you kidding me? No touchscreen, no 4k, no 100% RGB coverage, and now NO SD card slot? I am just smh.

Last edited:

jaimeastin

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am seriously so glad I got the XPS 15 now. I was having post purchase regret because I didn't realize for some reason that the new macbooks were arriving. I was thinking "oh great, just when I buy this thing, Apple is gonna come out w/ a machine that'll destroy this, and I just bought it!". But I guess I should be happy that I paid about 1500 (due to a 35% off deal I snagged) for a xps 15 with a 4k touchscreen with 100% adobe rgb, 1TB ssd, 16 gb RAM, 2 gb nvidia card, i7-6700HQ processor..and of course - a mother trucking SD card slot! Are you kidding me? No touchscreen, no 4k, no 100% RGB coverage, and now NO SD card slot? I am just smh.
Now that is a real portable powerhouse with no compromise and a bag of dongles to carry around... Apple is just corporation blah to me these days.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...so, for the MacBook Pro, I need to spend:
$1499
$249 (Apple Care)

and then dongles, too?
My project of upgrading or merely buying a new laptop is becoming more of a struggle. I wished I hadn't even started this project now.
Ugh!?!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
...so, for the MacBook Pro, I need to spend:
$1499
$249 (Apple Care)

and then dongles, too?
My project of upgrading or merely buying a new laptop is becoming more of a struggle. I wished I hadn't even started this project now.
Ugh!?!

For the NEW MacBook Pro, yes. If you can get the 2015 on sale, you still have a high-quality, very capable machine, without the dongles (but no touch bar either).

erikbock

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No you're not. I use the SD card slot on my current rMBP with an adapter that holds a Micro SD that gives me an additional 128GB of storage for low or slow retrieval. Now I am going to have to get the next bigger size SSD which means more $$$.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I prefer that metal  look!
And external SD card readers exist

If you need to buy an adapter that just means more crap to lose. My current Macbook Pro will be my only one unless I change my mind but I doubt it. I'm no slave to Apple and don't feel the need to pay for the Apple Tax.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It makes no sense to me. I'm fine with the USB-C ports, buts it's like they got rid of it just for the sake of getting rid of it. It sucks.

I'm fine with USB C ports but come on at least one USB 3.0 port please. One of the reasons I don't use the HP spectre at all.

wkelly24

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that Apple isn't the only manufacture who has removed the SD card from a product line. The HP Spectre X360 seems to have done the same. Is Apple trying to get people to use the wifi SD cards to wirelessly sync to your MBP? Seems there other options.

I'm not defending Apple, just trying to understand their logic, or anyones logic for that matter. Is there another option?

With that said though, with regards to an iPhone connecting to the new MBP; I think Apple should ask if you do have an iPhone and hand you a cable when purchasing the new MBP. Sending a phone out without a compatible cable to the device you have just seems redonkulous. But, then again, Apple is really into the wireless thing.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't bother me at all, but I barely use it. In fact, I don't really plug anything into my current Macbook except for the odd flash drive. I've already got a USB C/A flash drive, so won't need anything new there. I'll gladly give up all the ports I don't use in exchange for the smaller footprint, but I can see how others would miss it more than me.