I've used the new MacBook Pros! Ask me anything!

apablasa

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I've grappled with that same question all weekend...and have come to the conclusion that in reality I do very little final cut editing on the road...most of it is done at home on my Mac tower...still waiting for the new iMac...so I will go with the portability of the 13 with the knowledge that I can still do editing and hardware intensive actions on the 13.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Rene, very important question.

How many dongles do you use? ^_^ (JK) #JustDongleIt

The only question i would love to know about is, since the laptop is so thin. Is it sturdy? What i mean is, does it flex of bend in anyway? including the screen. :)

Thank You.

HRNess

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Is the Touch ID button physical like a iPhone 6s home button? I wonder about things like resetting SMC and how we'll do that now.

chad_winker

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I'm planning to buy a Macbook pro but undecided on the one with touch bar. Is the touch bar app dependent? If playing an app that does not support touch bar yet can it still use the function keys on the game?

Justinj01

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Will you be buying a 5k display? It sounds like you're not sure about the model, so if you get the 13", I'm guessing it won't work with that graphics card.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm also choosing power this time around, even though I've been a MBA user for a while now. My plan is simply to buy an extra power cord for my work desk: I'm currently carrying my MBA and its power cord everywhere (3.5 pounds together) whereas the 15" is 4 pounds on its own. So theoretically I'll only be adding half a pound to my bag, which right now seems worth it simply for the extra 2 inches of work space, not to mention the other benefits!

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Hi Rene,

Everything was going fine yesterday as I was watching the keynote until the prices came up. $2299 CAD for the model I'd have to get to match what I have now. I'm wondering what in this machine would make you buy this over the 2015 model costing $1799?

DCI-P3 display, TB3 / USB C ports, incredibly fast SSD, Touch Bar, Touch ID...

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
You only spent an hour, so not sure if you can really answer yet, but: is the larger version a burden to lug around? I remember when I got my first white MacBook. Carrying it and the power supply became a burden for anything over a couple hours. Is it light enough where you won't really notice it?

It's more to lug around but Apple's done a lot to make it lighter. It'll never be less than the 13-inch, of course, but it's lighter than any 15-inch has been before.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Do you think they'll bring the TouchBar to the Magic keyboard ?
Most of the time my macbook pro is "docked" anyway...

I think so! Apple can already do remote Touch ID from iPhone to authorize Safari on Mac, so doing it from Magic Keyboard to Mac seems possible.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
How does the display on the 2016 Macbook Pro compare to the Retina Macbook Pro's?

They're both Retina but the new one has DCI-P3 wide color gamut, which makes for better reds and greens, and better technology for deeper blacks. It's like the 5K iMac screen.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Was looking forward to the new MacBook Pro and I still am. However, the starting price for the 13" model seems high at $1799.99. Thoughts?

It's using a lot of state-of-the-art technology, including in the screen, in the Touch Bar, and in the storage. That drives up the price, short term.

jarnold96

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Hey Rene, what are your thoughts on the touch bar? Do you feel like it's worth the extra $300? Also how do the speakers sound? I want to buy one for producing music so that's a big one for me.

Cheers,
Jake

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods