Are you going to buy the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID?

Are you going to buy the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID?

• Yes

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 128690

For reference, I ordered the i5/256GB/16GB spec MBP. Came out to $1920~ inc. tax in Canada with the education discount.

The most "intensive" work this laptop will see is Adobe Lightroom editing. Otherwise, it will be mainly a Chrome/Brave surfer, Netflix binger, YouTube watcher. All your basic normal tasks.

I heavily considered the Macbook Air, however, based on the reviews I've read and watched, I didn't like how hot & loud the fans get with simple tasks/processes. I can't imagine all that heat and fan rev would do the Macbook Air any good in the long run. I plan on keeping this new MBP for 6/7+ years.
Coming from a mid-2010 15" MBP that I brought during my undergraduate days. I can't help but feel a little bit let down with this refresh... No 14" screen, 10th gen intel chipsets, DDR4 memory & 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports on all variants of the 13" MBP.

I guess I was reading too many rumours and blog posts, which got me all hyped up for this refresh...It is still a massive refresh for me, but it could have been better. However, still excited, and the 15-20th of May can't come soon enough...

#illmissyoumagsafe lol

Don't always believe what you read, I got a Air last weekend haven't heard the fans once and hasn't even got anywhere near warm.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't always believe what you read, I got a Air last weekend haven't heard the fans once and hasn't even got anywhere near warm.

Agreed. I have a work-issues MacBook Air in which the screen is on constantly, and I have probably 20 tabs open as well as have an external monitor connected. I rarely if ever hear the fan. The MBA is a work horse.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I sure did. Ended up buying the 2019 16" Pro last week. Upgraded from a 2013 MBP that's still in working condition but badly needed to be replaced.

ifellasleep

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I wanted a new Mac book for at least 5 years, I just bought my first Mac this past Monday. I went with the base 13" model. so far so so good but I will be supplementing the performance with a iPad Pro 11" before the end of the year. I'm on pins and needles with buying only 8gigs of ram and really that is my only complaint. I plan on trading this in next year for a model with 16 gigs of ram.(if I don't upgrade no other spec) I plan on making 4k movies(3 streams of 4k 30/60) with some light edits Final Cut using primary a iPhone 11 Pro max, pixel 3a,ipad 9.7 pro(soon to be replaced)

so far the device has worked great

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The new MacBook Pro doesn't have a touch bar because its not very useful.

Hello and welcome to iMore. It's nice to have you here. I do want to point out that this thread is over two years old, and because of this, the devices mentioned in this thread are no longer considered "new".

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The new MacBook Pro doesn't have a touch bar because its not very useful.

The 2020 MBP does have the Touch Bar and depending on the user, it may or may be useful. I use the Touch Bar all the time with my work-issues MBP.

calliejohnson

Jun 24, 2022
Visit site
I agree that the new MacBook Pro doesn't have a touch bar but has some new features that I love to use.
Apple introduced new Touch Bar and Touch ID features on its 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pro. You can swipe through your images in Photos with previews, scrub through videos, and make edits like rotating photos, cropping, and adding filters. Apple says users will be able to customize the Touch Bar and add the features and buttons they need the most.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree that the new MacBook Pro doesn't have a touch bar but has some new features that I love to use.
Apple introduced new Touch Bar and Touch ID features on its 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pro. You can swipe through your images in Photos with previews, scrub through videos, and make edits like rotating photos, cropping, and adding filters. Apple says users will be able to customize the Touch Bar and add the features and buttons they need the most.

I just want to say hello, and welcome to iMore!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal