Are you going to buy the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID?

Are you going to buy the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID?

• Yes

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My trusted old 2009 MacBook bit the dust, and I don't like using my work issued MacBook Air for personal use so earlier this evening, I went to a nearby Best Buy store and purchased a new 2017 model 13.3" Space Gray MacBook Pro since it was $150 off the regular price (Today is the last day of the sale). Thus far, I'm quite pleased with it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I knew what I was buying when I purchased it and I don't have a problem buying an adapter to satisfy a port need, if that need ever arise.

Darth-Vader

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the Touch Bar. Its not that I hate it, but for how I use my laptop, its not something driving me to buy the laptop in the first place. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 2018 model, if Apple rolls out an update next month. I have the luxuray of time, so I can sit and wait to see what happens

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) Apple Care runs out in November, so will probably move into a new one even though I kinda don't really want to. Buying another 2015, though, is not really in my best interests.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After reading this thread, I do not want to have a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

One possible lemon display easily scares you away? The Retina display on my 2017 MacBook Pro (non-Touch Bar model) is a sturdy as any other notebook display I’ve ever used.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yup just picked up a 15 inch 2018 MacBook Pro 256 gig space gray with 3 year Apple care just in case of problems. Installed MoJave on it, loving the dark mode. What a beast compared to my old Mac mini. Was thinking of getting the 13 inch model, but after playing with them side by side I decided the 15 inch wasn't that bulky.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Thoughts now that it's a month later?

Yup just picked up a 15 inch 2018 MacBook Pro 256 gig space gray with 3 year Apple care just in case of problems. Installed MoJave on it, loving the dark mode. What a beast compared to my old Mac mini. Was thinking of getting the 13 inch model, but after playing with them side by side I decided the 15 inch wasn't that bulky.

kojackjku

May 26, 2016
Visit site
One possible lemon display easily scares you away? The Retina display on my 2017 MacBook Pro (non-Touch Bar model) is a sturdy as any other notebook display I’ve ever used.

Did you even read the link? If it was JUST ONE, I would agree with you. But there have been MANY broken screens. Enough to sway me from buying one. Thats for sure. Hopfully the new air does not have this issue, or I may be going with some other device.

jeraldjamescapao88

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
Probably, yes... this year (2019).
I currently own the 2018 MacBook Air and it works well, but I need more processing power, RAM and SSD storage because the base model is limiting.

I am a Web Developer and also interested with Data Science and Blockchain.

I might need more RAM for running multiple Docker containers, etc. I need to have bigger memory because I prefer all my data are in the computer, not in any separate external storage.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Rumors everywhere. Now its rumored that a 16-16.5” MacBook Pro is “maybe” coming this year. Also “maybe” a 13” MacBook Pro with 32gb RAM. Crazy or what?

Anyway. I’m still selling, trying anyways, my 2017 15” MacBook Pro and getting a 2018 model in about a month.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Well mine is sold. Bought the new 2018 15” MacBook Pro with 2.6ghz i7, 32gb RAM, 512GB storage, & Vega 20. Bought Apple refurbished this time. Saved $350 vs new. Never bought refurbished before. Shouldn’t be no problems because this is used from Apple.

Should be at the Apple Store on Thursday. Can’t wait.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
FullSizeRender.jpeg

For reference, I ordered the i5/256GB/16GB spec MBP. Came out to $1920~ inc. tax in Canada with the education discount.

The most "intensive" work this laptop will see is Adobe Lightroom editing. Otherwise, it will be mainly a Chrome/Brave surfer, Netflix binger, YouTube watcher. All your basic normal tasks.

I heavily considered the Macbook Air, however, based on the reviews I've read and watched, I didn't like how hot & loud the fans get with simple tasks/processes. I can't imagine all that heat and fan rev would do the Macbook Air any good in the long run. I plan on keeping this new MBP for 6/7+ years.
Coming from a mid-2010 15" MBP that I brought during my undergraduate days. I can't help but feel a little bit let down with this refresh... No 14" screen, 10th gen intel chipsets, DDR4 memory & 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports on all variants of the 13" MBP.

I guess I was reading too many rumours and blog posts, which got me all hyped up for this refresh...It is still a massive refresh for me, but it could have been better. However, still excited, and the 15-20th of May can't come soon enough...

#illmissyoumagsafe lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m soooo very tempted to get the 2020 13” MacBook Pro. I mean, 16 GBs RAM, Touch Bar and 256 GB storage for $1,299? It’s killing me...(laughing)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods