Are you going to buy the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID?

Are you going to buy the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID?

• Yes

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters

gdgtmom

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
No. My mid 2015 MBP that I bought in June of 2015 will be just fine. No reason to drop 3 grand after tax for a new one to get my same 15" 500 GB

Bought my mbp 15 same time as you. Wouldn't upgrade to the new mbp. Satisfied with my purchase.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Bought my mbp 15 same time as you. Wouldn't upgrade to the new mbp. Satisfied with my purchase.

I had a 2011 until that time. Would still be using it but my house was burglarized and it was stolen. It was 4 years old. I use my computers until they die. Unlike how I get a new iPhone every year.

gdgtmom

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I had a 2011 until that time. Would still be using it but my house was burglarized and it was stolen. It was 4 years old. I use my computers until they die. Unlike how I get a new iPhone every year.
Bummer. I had the 2011 too. Gave to hubs when I got my mbp 2015 model.

psamo

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I really want the new mac book pro.All MacBooks came with new technologies and new design compared to their rivals.Their is no exception for the new MacBook pro.

wkelly24

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I finally was able to get to play with the new MBPw/TB. The word I would use to describe the experience would be fun. I agree with what Renee said on Mac Break Weekly, the touch bar is a convenient way to make a selection instead of having to stop and use the trackpad to move the pointer to make the same selection. I like how the TB changes making appropriate suggestions of the choices to select. I've come to believe that Apple's experience is a Star Trek like experience because, like the LCAR interface, it's a predictive interface to help make input a little bit easier. Looking forward to see what the application developers will do with the Touch Bar.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Probably pick you last year's model. I currently have a 2014 MacBook 13.3 and looking for one at home keeping my first one at the office. The new MacBook are nice but way too pricy for me.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Currently have a late 2013 15" rMBP with dGPU. Don't know what I'll do with the touch bar since I'm just a simple user. Except for trying to get into coding, I'm not much into the tech stuff. My current one is fine for now & probably overkill for me. I could have gotten by with one without the dGPU but bought it anyway.

RBNetEngr

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I will definitely be buying one. My current Mac is a 2008 iMac, which has served me well but is now outdated for both hardware (slow, 4GB max RAM, full hard drive) and software (cannot update MacOSX to Sierra or anything in the future). I am choosing a MacBook Pro because I no longer need a desktop Mac. I plan to buy a large external monitor at some point for when I need a larger screen.

I will be getting the 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, and upgrade the base configuration to the 3.1GHz CPU, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD.

wwlad

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I decided that I was due a new mac about a month ago. I don't know why since my white 2010 MacBook was doing everything I was asking of it.

The MBPs were looking good, but I knew that I could only use a small portion of their capability. Cost wasn't a big issue, but weight and size were. Hence a MacBook or MacBook Air. Given the likely demise of the Air in the future, that left the Macbook.

Then, considering the quite small improvement of the 2016 version over the 2015, went out and purchased a refurbished MacBook.

So far no regrets.

todddammit

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I just got the high end 15" in Space Gray to try out. Beautiful device but I'm not finding the compelling advantage over the late 2013 15" rMBP with dGPU I currently own for the cost. Figured if I did like the new one, I can get more for my current computer selling it on eBay now instead of waiting another year or two to help offset the cost of it.

Here are my thoughts:

Speed - I don't do high end video editing or other things that can tax a CPU so I didn't see a big difference in speed for my usual tasks between the 2 computers.

Touch Bar - it's a nice idea but not worth the increase in price over the regular Function keys. In fact, the TB is actually less efficient in that you have to tap what you want to change then move finger over to slider to affect it (ex: brightness and volume) as opposed to just tapping the function key up or down. Need more apps that really take advantage of it to make the TB a compelling factor and that will take time.

Keyboard/Trackpad - the keyboard hasn't been that big of deal for me to get used to....what's been more difficult to get used to is the size of the trackpad and having palms rest on it while typing. Palm recognition has been fine but still feels weird to have palms on it while typing. Additionally found I needed to change the way I used the secondary click with it - usually go with tapping lower right side but that seemed to impact a regular tap. Switched to a 2 finger tap for secondary click. Making such a huge trackpad seems overkill to me.

The display is beautiful but not finding it much different than my current rMBP. Pro photographers may see a difference in photos but I don't have that discerning of an eye. I use my computer as a 2nd monitor hooked up to the main Apple Thunderbolt display so much more time is spent looking at that instead of my laptop's display anyways.

Add the cost of the extra USB-C dongles (even though they're on sale now) and it's hard to justify the total cost for me. Will give it a few more days but looking like I'll return within the 14 day window. Besides...it's Xmas time and this time of the year is already expensive enough, right? :)

ctutt

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I currenly have a 2013 MBPro with Retina fully loaded. I do plan to replace it but not until late next year after the new chips come out and hopefully 32 GB Ram will be available.

niharikasarma

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm probably going to buy the new MBP in another six-eight months. I can't afford it right now, and I tend to stay away from the monthly payment stuff. I am excited about the new features. Honestly, touch ID is long overdue on the MacBook. I remembering owning a Toshiba laptop in 2008 that had a fingerprint scanner. It's a security feature I'm happy about because I live in a hostel where a lot of people like getting their grubby little hands on tech that's not theirs and destroying it. Dramatic, but true. I'm looking forward to trying out the Touch Bar as well.

Jeremy Jacobs

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
While I'd love a 15", I'm going for the 13" model (which is already a stretch for my budget haha), though I'm still debating the specifics on upgrades.

farvardinzad

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
For obvious reasons I'd call the MacBook Pro the MacBook Rogue. "Pro" would be true in 2018-2019 I would say when the rest of the tech world has caught up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2