How do you feel about the New MacBook Pro pricing?

Myke C

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I have a 2009 15" MBP with the matte screen, which cost me roughly GBP ?1250 new. Now the lowest priced 15" model is nearly double the price. I appreciate the Apple premium, but worried I might have purchased my last Macbook

yomny Martinez

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I know apple products have always been expensive and with reason but this time around, given my economical situation is exactly the same as before, the prices make these new MBP that much more unattainable for me.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I know a lot of people who tried PC and MAC to work and stayed on MAC, some programmers (actually to code Android) and musicians, so there has to be something good about it, I won't be the one to buy one, I always though those are expensive but because I won't use that way, my father has an old MBP and a new (about the same price) Toshiba with better specs and he prefer to work in the MBP, again it's just because the optimization for the software he uses it is better I guess.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Placed my order for Space Grey 13" middle processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD, with AppleCare and a few cables, it's $3,840.00 (Australian $$$'s). This is challenging for most people (even those with the spare cash). So I decided to compare with a similarly spec'd updated Microsoft Surface Book, it was well over $4,000.00 (AUD).......to that helped me a bit.

Everyone things that Apple is more expensive, and whilst I agree it's hard to do an Apples to Apples comparison, I believe that the equivalent alternate notebooks in the market are at the same value point.

Replacing all my adaptors is a rather large pain (last count for my old 2011 MacBook Air 3 x VGA, 2 x HDMI, 2 x Ethernet, not to mention various USB cables).

One final point is my 2011 MacBook Air is really still going along super well (i7, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD), so the higher price up-front is more than balanced with the years of service you expect from a MacBook Air or Pro. This laptop will continue to serve in our house, likely until the magic smoke comes out in some way over the coming years).

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I think Apple could have communicated more clearly that the "old" MBPs are still available ? to pay a bit more for the "future, next-gen" notebooks would be more understandable then?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Looking on the positive side, now that the newest is the 'premier' laptop to have, perhaps we'll see some opportunities and price drops on slightly older and refurb models. Gotta look on the bright side!

Of course! looking on the bright side is always the way to go. Im sure you could even pick up the old, old Macbook with the 5,400 PM hard drive. (While stocks last) Probably get deals way below $900

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I always say that the price of the apple products is FAIR. Because of the quality and the material they use.... bla bla bla. But those new models is kinda overpriced for a small touch bar. Nothing new. Just a touch bar.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I'm OK with premium pricing for a premium product, but increasing even the entry fee is a tough pill to swallow. (I think we'll all just pretend the 13" MacBook Air doesn't exist!)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I'm OK with premium pricing for a premium product, but increasing even the entry fee is a tough pill to swallow. (I think we'll all just pretend the 13" MacBook Air doesn't exist!)

Apple's answer to that is "we'll sell you last year's model at last year's price." I get it?last year's MacBook Pro is probably more than enough computing power for the vast majority of users?but it's still LAST year's model. I don't really agree with Apple's pricing decision but they didn't ask me for my opinion.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the pricing is bad at all. If you look at similarly spec'd machines, you'll be spending about the same. For what you get, I think it's a good price point. If you're just looking for the latest and greatest and don't have a need for the extras, there's still an upgraded 13" with function keys that's cheaper.

It doesn't matter that we're going into 2017 & people are comparing the price of these to MBPs they bought 5+ years ago, they're going to complain anyway. I bought my fully upgraded 15" MBP in 2012. It has 1TB, matte screen, 8GB RAM & a 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7....it cost me about $3500, and it's still a great machine. I don't expect this new MBP that I get to cost the same as the one I have now. I expect it to be much more expensive. Years have passed & things have changed. It's not a good investment for everybody.

ROSES5682

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Like others have stated Apple has always charged a premium for their products so I didn't think they would be "affordable", but I was a bit disappointed that the entry point for their cheapest model wasn't a couple hundred bucks lower.

I upgraded two years ago so luckily for me I'm not currently in the market but my husband is and unfortunately we will have to pass on these models given the cost of we upgraded the specs to what he needs.

samosIM

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Pricing, for me is in-line with what I typically buy when I upgrade. I tend to max out, but this time I know the 2TB SSD drive is more than I need. My last Retina MacBook Pro 15" (early 2013 I believe) totaled about $5000. So, with Apple Care + will be about $4000, I believe.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hearing the prices announced completely took the wind out of my sails. Even at the old prices, a new MBP was going to be a tough one to budget, but now I just feel like I can't do it at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen