New MacBook owner

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
After many years of saying I didn't see the point of switching to Mac from PC, I finally decided to give it a try. I bought a 13.3" MacBook Pro i5 with 8g ram and 256g storage. So far, I'm liking it. I've only had time to install office 365, Steam (with a few games that I've previously purchased that are Mac compatible), and I've downloaded my iTunes Match library. I've also tried a few ad block extensions, but none seem to work very good. Any suggestions? Also, any tips for a OSX newcomer?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
One other question. As I said, I downloaded my iTunes Match library this morning. Everything looked good for awhile afterwards, but now I notice that about 1/2 my library is duplicated. Is this a common problem on OS X? I know it used to be an issue on Windows 10, but I haven't seen it in quite awhile. I'm a bit hesitant to do anything about it right now, hoping that maybe it might resolve itself.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
One other question. As I said, I downloaded my iTunes Match library this morning. Everything looked good for awhile afterwards, but now I notice that about 1/2 my library is duplicated. Is this a common problem on OS X? I know it used to be an issue on Windows 10, but I haven't seen it in quite awhile. I'm a bit hesitant to do anything about it right now, hoping that maybe it might resolve itself.

You might want to try shutting off iTunes Match in iTunes and then turning it back and and letting it match again. Hopefully that will get rid of the duplicates. iTunes is a mess; hoping Apple does something about it soon.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the Mac side of things. Here is a link to all the keyboard shortcuts. And I also suggest getting a good Password Manager such as 1Password. Sorry but I can not assist you with your iTunes Match issue as I do not use it.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input. As suggested, I toggled the apple music and iCloud music library settings in iTunes. This fixed the duplicates problem. I will check out 1password.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I've also tried a few ad block extensions, but none seem to work very good. Any suggestions?
I've been bouncing back and forth between Adguard and Ghostery (there's no reason I can run both at the same time). Both do a decent job but both also seem to block too much at time.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
As others have said, congratulations. I too, just bought a MacBook Pro 13" retina, last Friday 13th May.
Now to learn and setup Time Machine. One must have a backup. Maybe I'll look into a cloning option, too...

gdgtmom

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
As others have said, congratulations. I too, just bought a MacBook Pro 13" retina, last Friday 13th May.
Now to learn and setup Time Machine. One must have a backup. Maybe I'll look into a cloning option, too...

Thanks and same to you. Surprised you got a Mac actually. Your such a PC guy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods