MacBook Pro 13" 4GB memory

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Best Buy has a deal on a MacBook Pro 13", with 8GB memory.
Mainly I'd be using the unit for browsing the Internet, email and possibly reviewing a few documents. Maybe every once in a while connecting to VPN and Remote Desktop.

Surely 4GB memory is good enough, no? Or should one pay the extra $200 for an additional 4GB memory?

Thanks

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
My personal opinion would be to go with the 4GB for your needs as long as they do not change down the road. If you have any concerns that your needs will change later, then the 8GB would be my suggestion as a way to future proof yourself. For what you are doing 4GB will handle it with ease.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Agree - as long as your needs are not likely to change then 4GB of RAM is fine. However, if you are going to start using more heavyweight applications in the future (such as photo/video editing, IDEs or virtualisation) then 8GB is recommended.

Apple should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for charging $200 for an extra 4GB of RAM. This is really exploitation and I hope customers won't stand for it.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
THIS RIGHT HERE!!!
Even more so when we all know memory for Windows, is so cheap these days, and we can install it ourselves...

Apple should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for charging $200 for an extra 4GB of RAM. This is really exploitation and I hope customers won't stand for it.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Agree - as long as your needs are not likely to change then 4GB of RAM is fine. However, if you are going to start using more heavyweight applications in the future (such as photo/video editing, IDEs or virtualisation) then 8GB is recommended.

They are charging $200 for 8gb upgrade on the current models and $100 to upgrade to 8gb on the 2012 model.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would do the 8 gigs. I prefer having more and not needing than needing and not having. Only caveat is if the model you are looking at can be upgraded. I thought the newer ones couldn't be. If it can buy the 4gig and upgrade the ram yourself.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have to update my response since you mentioned you want to run VMWare. I would have to now say go with the 8GB.

Agree. For virtualisation, 8GB is strongly recommended. However, given the abusive price increase for the 8GB model, you might want to consider if the MacBook Pro is really a good choice for you.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
To me the 8GB MacBook Pro will do just fine. And, to be honest, I'll mainly use it from the sofa. If I need Windows, I could merely remote into my Windows computer (in my home office), and not worry about Parallels, and all that ;)

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
People have answered. I'll still give my opinion. If you're talking about the 2012 model, go with the 8gb version. I had this and upgraded it and the difference was Night and day. Plus..future proofing is always great.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73