Antivirus for Mac?

aksha1910

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
antivirus for mac

Hi,
I'm using the early 2015 macbook pro retina display and I was wondering if there is any need of installing an antivirus on my laptop.
Thanks in advance!

palsy

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Re: antivirus for mac

Yes I really think you should buy one. Mac is very safe but lately there are some virus that came up. I have Trend Micro and I have like 5 alerts per year roughly. If you want you can go for a free one to save on cost.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

Hi,
I'm using the early 2015 macbook pro retina display and I was wondering if there is any need of installing an antivirus on my laptop.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to iMore!

I have been using Macs for close to 20 years and have never installed an antivirus. With safe computing practices, there is no need for any antivirus software. Besides, I know of no known viruses in the wild that can currently effect a Mac. That's not to say Macs are immune to malware though. But again, safe computing practices can prevent your Mac from becoming victim to a malware.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

You don't really need anti virus on Windows or any OS be it mobile or a full fledged one. Smart decisions will be good enough of a defense. Also windows does come with one for free and is good enough imo

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
If you must consider one, I'd look at malwarebytes. I'd avoid Norton as it causes more issues then it solves.

I've never used antivirus on the Mac and if you practice safe computing habits, i.e., being careful of where you surf, and download files. You're already ahead of the game.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

Hi,
Thanks in advance!

I'm using the free Avira on mine and not too bad. Though I know Macs do not need antivirus, I just use it for fun.

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've never used any virus protection on any of my Mac computers. Never had any issues but your mileage may vary.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I have antivirus on my MBP. It's required for remoting in to work. And my work supplies it free of charge. It's an extra layer of protection for me and I'm glad for it.

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've never used any virus protection on any of my Mac computers. Never had any issues but your mileage may vary.

With that said I just realized I can install Norton on my MBP from my PC subscriptions. I think I'll give it a whirl to try it out. Better safe than sorry I guess.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
16 year Mac user, never used an anti-virus, and never had an issue.
Same here, I've been on a mac since the old Macintosh SE days, and I've never had a problem.

I think its wise to practice safe habits, like not clicking on attachments that you don't know about, visiting sites that are of questionable quality (for a lack of a better term) and not downloading apps from pirate sites.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Same here, I've been on a mac since the old Macintosh SE days, and I've never had a problem.

I think its wise to practice safe habits, like not clicking on attachments that you don't know about, visiting sites that are of questionable quality (for a lack of a better term) and not downloading apps from pirate sites.

Back in the SE days, I was glad that I had antivirus. Remember Norton's "SAM" Symantic's Antivirus for Mac? My upstairs neighbor had an SE full of games she downloaded from her college's network, only to get infected. She found out after giving me a bunch of floppy disks that I discovered infected.

These days OS X is much better and safer. I don't even bother.