Can a Macbook Pro replace my Windows desktop?

send_here

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
HI all, this is a genuine question (not a Windows guy trolling)!

Question: Can I buy the current fully spec'd 15" Macbook Pro as use it as a Windows 10 desktop replacement?

Background:

My Dell desktop is at the end of its life (Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600, 4GB RAM, 4TB internal storage) and Ive spent a week specing a new machine. My build has come to ?1400 with a Skylake i5 6600K, 16GB RAM, 4TB internal storage, and to make my purchase more fun I've chucked in a gaming card GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP.

My main uses are graphic design using Adobe suite, browsing, some music production. I use a PS4 for my gaming so was only high specing my PC build for Adobe software and some gaming to make the upgrade feel worth the spend. I'd like to purchase at least one 4k monitor and I'm considering a two 40" 4k setup.

What I've realised is I dont actually want to get caught up in the gaming angle and forever be tweaking + spec checking, upgrading and fiddling that inevitably comes with a PC gaming. 1. Because I dont actually know what I'm doing or buying. :confused: 2. Because it gets expensive, fast!

So hear me out, could I go a different way and get a 4k monitor on my desk and dock a Macbook Pro, then bootcamp windows 10 and do all of the things I currently use my Dell machine for and use the full potential and power of the MBP, and feel it? Of course I need an external storage solution for the bulk of my data (whatever that would be)?

I'm very impressed with the MBP build and would appreciate having the portability when I need it. I'm an iphone and ipad user and have a massive itunes library so would be tempted to use OSX for those things. But most of my software is Windows and this is the system I know so would want to stick with it for a while longer. Is this a good solution or will I find that I get driver issues, or software issues? Am I over spending if I get a MBP instead of just getting a Dell XPS 15"? Was thinking the MBP would give me two OS which adds some value. And I have issues with itunes sometimes and backing up so was thinking this maybe smoother on the Macs?

Sorry for the wall of info and questions, just need a little guidance.:cant-watch:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a MacBook Pro can be a replacement for a Windows PC, but whether it can for you, no one aside from you can honestly know. Longtime Windows users going to OS X for the first time can be quite frustrating. I recommend you go to a nearby Apple store or Best Buy store and spend some time maneuvering OS X. If you find the basics manageable then you won't have any problems using the apps you plan to use with it, if you opt to buy the MacBook.

send_here

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes, a MacBook Pro can be a replacement for a Windows PC, but whether it can for you, no one aside from you can honestly know. Longtime Windows users going to OS X for the first time can be quite frustrating. I recommend you go to a nearby Apple store or Best Buy store and spend some time maneuvering OS X. If you find the basics manageable then you won't have any problems using the apps you plan to use with it, if you opt to buy the MacBook.

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I used to use old white plastic iMacs with my old job so I now the basics with OSX just not maintenance etc.

I guess my main question is will the MacBook Pro give me desktop performance with Photoshop and indesign etc. I've always had desktops and my current one is at least 6yrs old so I'm guessing the technology today it laptops should be at least equal if not much better than my current desktop.

I realise I'm going to in for a shock when I have to buy a dock and all the expensive cables and external drives in order to have a laptop as my main machine.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you're not sure, then go with Boot Camp - I run Windows 10 as my business requires a lot of Windows use - but it's gross compared to a Mac for me. You can dynamically re-partition your drive as needed.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it can replace your Windows desktop, you can have both OSX and Windows on the MacBook Pro without any issue. If most of your software are Windows only with no equivalent to OSX, then use the boot camp partition and install your windows softwares in there, there is also parallels to consider if you mainly achieve office related work on your windows, and have the boot camp portion for gaming section only. That's the setup I have on my rMacbook pro and it just works.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the top spec'd Pro but I do have the mid 2014 retina Macbook Pro with 2.6Ghz 8gb RAM. I am a hobbyist photographer and use Photoshop and Lightroom (especially) without any hiccups. I 99% of the time do not get the spinning beach ball and when I do its usually when my battery is at the bottom 5%. Together with your iPhone and iPad your combo will be killer due to features like AirDrop, remote play, and Continuity.

Also I used to do some music production back when I was in high school but I haven't been able to get used to anything other than FL studio which is not on macs (Bootcamp fixes this)

Spec it out and you'll be fine IMO! Good luck.

Frazzel 001

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes indeed.. I just switched to the macbook pro and have to say It's the best decision I made. I wont be returning to Windows anytime soon,

Posted via the iMore App for Android

erikbock

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have completely switch to using my Mac for everything. I do have on use case that requires me to use a Windows VM from Parallels and that is I need to run Visio 2010. I am looking at Concept Draw and like what I see though I have a few usability issue wth it. Nothing that I don't think I could deal with. I would love a native version of Visio because I have significant experience with it as I have been using it since before it was bought by MS. (Sorry for that soapbox.)

If I commit to the ConceptDraw solution then I will only use a PC if I am forced to by my job.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2