My 2014 MBP has started freezing while attempting to wake it from sleep: I'll enter my password, hit ENTER, then I get a beach ball forever. I then have to hold down the Power key to restart it, and it'll reboot fine.

It doesn't happen all the time: sometimes it wakes fine, sometimes it freezes. I can't find a pattern. It failed often last week, but then I went through the whole weekend waking it dozens of times without issue. But now it's started freezing often again.

Except for occasional WiFi drops, the laptop had worked perfectly since I bought it a year ago. The freezing problem only started happening sometime after moving to the release version of El Capitan. Now it often freezes on waking, and more rarely I'll get the beach ball freeze just after the system boots and I can see the Finder, etc.

My setup isn't anything odd. No BootCamp or anything like that. No connected peripherals. The only software I'm suspicious of is TeamViewer, though it's been installed for months without issue.

I did reset the SMC and checked for Disk Errors.

Just curious if this sounds familiar to anyone else? I've found others mentioning similar problems on various support sites, but didn't see any consistent solutions.
    11-11-2015 12:16 PM
    Have a look at the Console app log in Applications/Utilities for around the time it froze. Also try quitting all apps or running one at a time to see if it is an app or OS X
    11-11-2015 03:01 PM
    Have a look at the Console app log in Applications/Utilities for around the time it froze.
    Thank you, I'll take a look. I did look in there earlier after reading some Google'd advice to do so as well, but I'm still trying to figure out what I'm looking at in there. I'm used to the Windows Event Viewer where I can filter by Warning, Error, etc.
    11-11-2015 04:11 PM