2010 MacBook Pro not booting

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks

Today my MacBook Pro crashed and I had to do a hard power off to get it to respond. Now it won't boot. It's tuck on the Apple logo and progress bar but the progress bar, stuck at about halfway, hadn't moved one pixel in an hour (I put a piece of tape on the screen to measure it).

Not sure what I can do. I can't boot into safe mode, I tried, but it just won't boot at all. I don't have a recovery disk as I bought this second hand from someone, not from a store. Short of going to an Apple Store, which is no good for me as I'm on set at the moment, is there anything else I can do please?

Please let me know if you need more info; I'm honestly not sure what to provide.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Nothing except single user mode works when I try to boot. I'm running Yosemite. In Single User mode, the disk had errors but the OS repaired them "incorrect block count for file".

Cmd +r doesn't do a thing, neither does trying to boot into safe mode, verbose mode or anything else.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
In fact single user mode doesn't work now.

I guess a trip to the store in a few weeks is going to have to happen. It's going to be a long few weeks without a computer or iPad. oh well. :(

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So in Single user mode, I can do a fsck disk check with /sbin/fsck -fy until it reports no errors. Rebooting at that point though still causes it to hang on boot at about 50% on the progress bar.

I can't get into any other modes from boot. Any other suggestions please? I can't afford to get this fixed professionally so need as much help as possible please.

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Was your hard drive filled up?

Try resetting the NVRAM. Could possibly be the hard drive or if there is a software issue, you may need a clean install of the OS. It all depends. Lots of different variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hard drive less than half full. I tried resetting NVRAM and it finally accepted my keystroke input after I left it overnight. Did that, ran an fsck check twice, once to find the errors and fix them, twice to make sure no others cropped up. Then booted into recovery mode and reinstalled the OS. Now it seems to be working but it still feels sickly.

I've copied all my important data off onto a 2 Tb HDD and will take it to an Apple Store and see what's what. I've a feeling the HDD is on its way out.

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
That's good. I'm glad it's booting up now, which will allow you to get the important stuff off of it. That way if the hard drive needs to be replaced you'll have a backup. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks folks. It finally fell over and now it's dead and buried. The Apple Store say the logic board has gone.

I can't afford a replacement at all, so my phone is my sole access to the intermawebz at the moment. Maybe I can afford a replacement in the New Year but I doubt it. I'll take the hard drive out and salvage any other bits I can from it.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks folks. It finally fell over and now it's dead and buried. The Apple Store say the logic board has gone.

I can't afford a replacement at all, so my phone is my sole access to the intermawebz at the moment. Maybe I can afford a replacement in the New Year but I doubt it. I'll take the hard drive I've out and salvage any other bits I can from it.

Sorry to hear that, man. I had a 2010 unibody MB bite the dust earlier this year... mine was a bad system board, as well. RIP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro