Wifi Issues

Justin Bengtson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Why is my Mac not connecting to my Wifi?? My iPhone is fine but my MacBook Pro mid 2014 isn't for some reason does anyone have any theories on why?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Any wifi hotspot in particular or just one? If all hotspots - you could have a hardware issue that would be covered under AppleCare+ if you have it...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks I figured it out not sure what the issue was and I was having problems connecting to my network extender.

Can you move the MacBook Pro closer to the actual Wi-Fi access point/router to see if it'll connect wirelessly to rule out the network extender?

Justin Bengtson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Update now my Mac is connected to the Wifi but isn't loading web pages and what not and I don't know why all of my other devices are working and I just don't understand what's going on. I've tried restarting a few times and not sure what else to do. I will probably take it to the Apple Store tomorrow or something and see what's wrong but for now does anyone have any other ideas on what I can do to fix this problem?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Can you connect to a device in your home network? Say try printing a test page while on WiFi and connected to the extender. This will help narrow down what may be going on.

There's a built in tool called Network Utility. You can find it by searching in Spotlight. Once Network Utility is open, go to the Traceroute tab. Enter an address for a news or shopping site - something that will require the Mac to go outside of your home network to get the web pages. See if the Traceroute travels beyond your router's gateway. Most gateways are configured with a .1 at the end of the IP Address. Something like 192.168.1.1. You can find out your gateway address by using the Netstat tab in Network Utility, or in the Network Preferences/Advanced.

If the Traceroute make it out of your home network and onto your ISP's network, then you know something is going on outside of your control. If the Traceroute doesn't go all the way to say, www.androidcentral.com and complete the Traceroute, don't worry. Sometimes networks block the "ping", or ICMP protocol at certain points in their networks. That's fairly normal. The key thing is if you can get out of your network and onto your ISP's network.

The other thing to check is for DNS. DNS helps to resolve IP Addresses to friendly names like iMore | The #1 site for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple!. If DNS is not available for your Mac, that could cause problems when trying to reach websites. Check to see that you have DNS setup and available in the Network Preferences/Advanced.

Another option to try is to tether your MacBook to your iPhone and see if you can get to the internet that way. If your MacBook connects to your iPhone, get's an IP Address and can go to websites, then that could indicate you have a configuration or other issue in your home network.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner