Just Got My First Mac! 2015 rMBP :)

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Just went and picked up my new MacBook Pro (going to school in the fall), and I love it! So much better than all the Windows machines I've used over the years. Glad I finally got my dream laptop! So excited to get using it!

Do you guys have any tips or tricks a first time Mac user should know? I have followed OS X releases for 3 years now but I'm still basically a novice. Also, does anyone have a specific mouse they'd recommend?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Mouse? Never, the touchpad is basically a smartphone screen, multitouch.

Tips, command+Q to completely close the current open program. And of course, learn what all the multitouch trackpad can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Mouse? Never, the touchpad is basically a smartphone screen, multitouch.

Tips, command+Q to completely close the current open program. And of course, learn what all the multitouch trackpad can do.

I was thinking of possibly getting the Magic Mouse or a Logitech Performance MX. I do want to play a little Minecraft here and there, so I figured that a mouse would be a good investment.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of possibly getting the Magic Mouse or a Logitech Performance MX. I do want to play a little Minecraft here and there, so I figured that a mouse would be a good investment.

Oh, for gaming? Razer Naga. Very good for games like Minecraft and WoW, it has a 12 digit number pad built right into the side. Though this is a right handed mouse.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Oh, for gaming? Razer Naga. Very good for games like Minecraft and WoW, it has a 12 digit number pad built right into the side. Though this is a right handed mouse.

Alright, I'll look into that mouse! Thanks for the help! :)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just went and picked up my new MacBook Pro (going to school in the fall), and I love it! So much better than all the Windows machines I've used over the years. Glad I finally got my dream laptop! So excited to get using it!

Do you guys have any tips or tricks a first time Mac user should know? I have followed OS X releases for 3 years now but I'm still basically a novice. Also, does anyone have a specific mouse they'd recommend?

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I bought a mouse specifically for Minecraft when I started playing it. Then I'd be lying down in bed or sitting on the couch wanting to play, or I'd take my MacBook out and want to play but not have my mouse. Eventually I just learned to play on the track pad. A mouse is still a little easier, but I have no issues playing without one.

I definitely would not recommend playing Minecraft with a Magic Mouse, though. You have to disable scrolling every time you play because it's so sensitive, which means you're stuck using the number keys to select items in your inventory, plus the aggravation of having to change your mouse settings every time, and it's harder to right-click. The Magic Mouse works just like the track pad - one finger to left click and two to right click - but it often doesn't register that I'm using two fingers.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hotkeys, there's some nice ones for Mac.

Command + Option + D to open and hide the dock, much better than auto-hide or just leaving it up all the time and taking your window space.
Command + Alt + Escape opens the force kill window if a program is sticking (similar to CTRL + ALT + DEL on Windows)

Apple->About this Mac->Storage for a quick overview of your hard drive usage
Launchpad->Other->Activity Monitor - similar to task manager in Windows but more useful because it makes more sense. Memory Pressure field tells you how hard your RAM is being hit

Apps installed from the App Store are super easy to uninstall because you basically just delete the icon from the Applications folder. Web programs (stuff you download from places besides the App Store) are a bit trickier and sometimes need an uninstaller that ships with the app to clear everything out

Click anywhere on your desktop to get the Finder menu. Finder->Preferences lets you display a folder for your hard drive right on the desktop (similar to My Computer on Windows) lets you easily get into and browse your files. Basically works like old school Mac OS from the 80s/90s so everyone should use their Mac this way :p

Mouse: Well I definitely like Apple's touchpad. They have some of the best gestures. Three-finger swipe basically functions as holding the mouse button down and works really well. The Magic Mouse is only ok - it has some really cool touch gestures but does not have sensitive enough mouse movement and does not always read clicks correctly (it uses a single button like older Mac mice). Personally for gaming a recommend a Windows two+ button mouse. I use a basic Logitech one but any USB or bluetooth mouse is going to work just fine.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Minecraft is easy to play with the trackpad, but a mouse is useful for PvPing as it allows for more fluid control.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro