Upgrading Ram on MacBook Pro question

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So I want to upgrade my mid 2012 13 inch MacBook Pro from the 4 it came with to the 8 max. I know it has two slots that can accommodate 4 each. My question is does anyone know if apple puts in two 2's and uses both slots or one 4 and leaves on slot open? I just need to know if I need to buy one or two 4gig ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So I want to upgrade my mid 2012 13 inch MacBook Pro from the 4 it came with to the 8 max. I know it has two slots that can accommodate 4 each. My question is does anyone know if apple puts in two 2's and uses both slots or one 4 and leaves on slot open? I just need to know if I need to buy one or two 4gig ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They typically fill both slots - so you should have two 2gb memory sticks for at total of 4gb.

You can confirm by (a) opening the case, or (b) going to  > About This Mac and looking at the Memory tab. This tab will show you the current memory configuration (including used/unused slots), memory type requirements and provide a link to upgrade instructions.

I cannot upgrade the memory on my rMBP, so there is no Memory tab, but here's the info from my wife's iMac:

View attachment 84092

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner