I want to know which Mac book pro to buy??!!!

amirayazi

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys

I would really like to know which Mac book pro to buy! My new school asked me to buy a Mac book pro because they said i need it and I am really stuck on which one to buy out of 13 inch and 15 inch!

Can you please help me???

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Personally I prefer the 13 but your not me. My suggestion is to go to the store and use both sizes. See which you are most comfortable. Also consider the portability factor. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I've read that the 13" is a lot more portable do to not only size but weight as well. If you expect to be carrying it around often you may want to go with a 13" Retina MacBook Pro. Otherwise the a 15" could be a more satisfying machine with a notably bigger desktop.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

The 13'' Pro is much lighter but the 15'' Pro is much more powerful. It is a very expensive computer if you do not need the feature and options it provides. Unfortunately Apple does not provide a basic unit at the popular 15'' size.

I personally like the 13'' a lot (I'm typing on one right now!) but if you need the hardware that comes in the 15'' Pro, a 13'' will simply not suffice.

You should try to find out some more about the hardware and software requirements you will need for school. What kind of program will you be in?

amirayazi

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Well to be honest with you I am really not sure because the school that I am going to is new, it's first year and the school has some programs built for them which is on Mac and so they asked me to buy one if I did not have one! Mostly we do a lot of power-point presentations and a lot of essays on word and also excel!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I think you have two options with pros and cons for each, as others have said.

Do you want a smaller, more portable device? Get the 13"

Would you prefer a heavier and more cumbersome but more powerful device? Get the 15"

That's about it in a nutshell really.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh ok well I am guessing you will not need the 15'' Pro because they would probably be telling you otherwise if they needed you to be able to run high-end production software, etc. that you really need a more powerful computer for. I would assume that any computer in Apple's lineup will be adequate for you since the main requirement seems to be that you need OS X.

Even the cheapest MacBooks have plenty of power for basic office work, powerpoints, etc. I would go with the 13'' Pro as it is slightly more powerful and doesn't lose much battery life over the MacBook Air and you get the retina screen. The Pros have more ports, etc. for attaching to projectors, using external storage, and so forth compared to the retina MacBook so I'd take one of them for a school setting. Retina screens are really nice screens to work on as well. The 15'' Pro will of course do everything but it is much more expensive so unless you really want that larger computer, I wouldn't recommend it over a 13'' Pro.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought the new mid 2015 15" 512 GB last week. I came from a early 2011 15". Amazing difference. It feels so powerful.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I bought the new mid 2015 15" 512 GB last week. I came from a early 2011 15". Amazing difference. It feels so powerful.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

I bet! ...and I'm jealous too. 😜
The thing I really appreciate about that 2011 model though is the tinkering you could do. You could change the RAM, add an SSD, replace the optical drive with a HDD/SSD. I know the newer machines are better but I miss my high-resolution 2011 MBP. ...should not have sold that great machine.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I am guessing that in 10-15 years or so the 2011-2012 units will be very popular in the vintage community for their upgradeability.

I don't necessarily disagree with Apple for going the soldering route but I wish they still sold at least one model that was DIY for the hobbyist types. I'm really attached to my Mini after doing my own upgrades to it.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
What program is your school using that requires a Mac, that doesn't work on a Windows PC? Do you need a laptop, or a Mac laptop specifically?

As far as your questions on requirements, any laptop will be able to do what you ask.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2