How can I restore a MacBook Pro to factory default?

C.K400

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Any Apple geniuses out there can give me simple instructions? I just purchased a mid 2012 macbook pro i7 and want to basically make it like it was new again. As far as I know there are no passwords. There is another user listed that I can't access and would like to remove them but there is a password for that but not for iCloud or iTunes. Thanks in advance. By the way never owned a macbook before only iPhones.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Restore mac bbok pro back to like new factory?

Can you not go back to the person or entity you purchased it from and have it wiped and restored? Also, you can't say there are no passwords when there is another user listed whose account you can't access.

C.K400

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

No I purchased from a pawn shop. I said no passwords so everyone would know its not locked down with iTunes or iCloud. I can use it just fine and it seems to be wiped except for the one user. I'm not locked out of it by any means it just bothers me that there is a user listed that I can't take off. I have my iTunes acct on and the mac works great! just wanted a like new user experience where I set it up from the beginning.

C.K400

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

I also just watched a video and changed the password so I can access the old users acct. It has nothing on it that I can tell but would like to either remove the user all together or just wipe the whole macbook and start new. But don't know how....

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

No I purchased from a pawn shop. I said no passwords so everyone would know its not locked down with iTunes or iCloud. I can use it just fine and it seems to be wiped except for the one user. I'm not locked out of it by any means it just bothers me that there is a user listed that I can't take off. I have my iTunes acct on and the mac works great! just wanted a like new user experience where I set it up from the beginning.

Is your account an administrator account? If so, you should be able to delete the other accounts. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups. What accounts are listed there?

If there are more listed than your account (and Guest), click the little padlock icon, enter your password. Now click on the other account, and click the little minus sign to delete that account. Choose to DELETE their files. Repeat for any additional accounts.

If you're really curious, rather than deleting the account, you can reset the password on that account, switch user accounts, log into that other account and explore.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

C.K400

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

Thank you both very much! YouTube is awesome LOL. I realized that I don't have a password so when I went to delete her user acct I was trying to figure out a password but if you don't have one just leave it blank and hit enter and bam she was deleted!! Now I'm the only admin user listed! Like I said thank you guys for the help!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thank you both very much! YouTube is awesome LOL. I realized that I don't have a password so when I went to delete her user acct I was trying to figure out a password but if you don't have one just leave it blank and hit enter and bam she was deleted!! Now I'm the only admin user listed! Like I said thank you guys for the help!

You're very welcome. Having said that, create for yourself a "standard" user account and use it for your everyday computing needs. Just keep track of your administrative passcode.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Awesome.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox