When I hook up my 13" macbook pro to an external monitor, set the external monitor as the primary and then mirror displays, the 13" display emulates the 2560 x 1600 monitor.

Is there any way to get the 13" display to scale up the resolution without it being hooked to another monitor?

I understand that it wont really be a higher resolution but I could use the extra room, even if its fake.

Thanks!
    06-10-2015 02:20 PM
  2. HankAZ said: Best Answer

When I hook up my 13" macbook pro to an external monitor, set the external monitor as the primary and then mirror displays, the 13" display emulates the 2560 x 1600 monitor.

Is there any way to get the 13" display to scale up the resolution without it being hooked to another monitor?

I understand that it wont really be a higher resolution but I could use the extra room, even if its fake.

Thanks!
    Have you looked at  > System Preferences ... > Displays > (Display Tab) > Resolution: Scaled to see what that might do for you. Admittedly, I'm using a 15" rMBP, so what I see in that screen may be different from your options.

AFAIK, that would be the only way to do it, if it's possible. To be quite honest, I don't understand how a monitor with a lower resolution could possible "emulate [a] higher resolution".

Thanks!
    Have you looked at  > System Preferences ... > Displays > (Display Tab) > Resolution: Scaled to see what that might do for you. Admittedly, I'm using a 15" rMBP, so what I see in that screen may be different from your options.

AFAIK, that would be the only way to do it, if it's possible. To be quite honest, I don't understand how a monitor with a lower resolution could possible "emulate [a] higher resolution".
    06-10-2015 03:00 PM
    Thanks for the reply HankAZ!

Display settings was the first thing I checked. Only options are 1280 * 800 and lower.
    I know the display can emulate it since it does it when the bigger screen is hooked. I guess it just makes things smaller.

I didn’t know it was possible either, I just stumbled upon it by hitting cmd + F1 (or F2 (one makes it mirror and one makes the screens individual)).
    06-10-2015 10:36 PM