First time Macbook owner

MKRogers20

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I am a graduate student looking to purchase a Macbook. I have always used a PC, and while I have not experienced any problems, I am in need of a portable, high-speed, reliable laptop for school and work purposes. I am considering the Macbook Pro with Retina display, but I am also exploring the option of buying an Air.

I mainly use my device for research, writing and editing documents, studying, watching Netflix, etc., but I will soon be teaching, too. I have concerns that my PC will not function properly during in-class presentations (I will be using Prezi, YouTube, etc.), which is why I am purchasing a Macbook. I also need a computer that is fast and light with long battery life. I don't operate many programs at the same time, and I definitely won't be using Final Cut Pro or other high-tech editing programs.

My biggest concern is that I will not be able to use Windows software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint; I use all of these programs at school and work. How much will it cost to install them? Will they run smoothly on the Macbook?

I am considering the Macbook Pro with Retina display, but I am also exploring the option of buying an Air. I certainly am not buying a 15" because I can't afford it and I need a small, easily portable laptop.

I use Macbooks and iMacs at work, and I have picked up on the operations fairly easily, so I should not have trouble switching from a PC. I just need a machine that is fast, light, and easy-to-use. I also would be thrilled to have longer battery life (my PC lasts a whopping 2 hours!).

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! I am also very concerned with getting a good value on my Macbook. I have been saving up for a while, so this purchase is a big deal! Thank you in advance!!

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Unless you need to do something more intense than what you've described, the MacBook Air will suffice. Also, it's very inexpensive (around $100) to run Office on a Mac, and you'll have no performance issues, either.

mbar9607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my first MacBook Pro last year and i went with the 13" non retina mainly because of price and I like the idea of a cd drive and the slightly thicker design of it. I don't have any issues with speed or battery but I can also upgrade the hdd and ram myself

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I use Office for Mac and it works pretty good. You can get Office 365 for $7 a month and it comes with Office, 1 TB of OneDrive space, and Skype minutes. Plus when the next version of Office for Mac comes out you will automatically get it. Being that you are a student you may be able to get an additional discount.

Zelda12

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a macbook pro. I decided on the pro because I figure it will be used in many ways from editing video to some gaming. microsoft word is a yearly renewal if I recall. I use pages which is fine and you can save to a word doc if needed. I also use "open office" which is like microsoft word. it's free and you can download it on their site. if you want word, than just pay for word.

search online for pricing. I bought off of b&h. saved some money going through them. for the money, go with the macbook pro 13'

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice