Craigslist question

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So this guy on Craigslist is selling a 15" retina MacBook Pro with 1TB Drive, 16GB Ram, 2.8GHZ, mid 2014 for $1000. He said he purchased it a few months ago for some video work and that it is in perfect condition. He's offered to meet me in a public place to let me examine it and test it. Is there a way to check if it was stolen? $1000 seems awfully cheap to me for this version and I don't want to buy a piece of stolen equipment. Anyone have any ideas on this?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ask the seller for the serial number... see if your local police department is willing to take the serial number and run it through their NCIC systems to see if it's wanted or stolen...

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Have him meet you AT the local police station. If he shows, then do as Keith suggests and ask them to run the serial. If he balks at that request, or doesn't show, then you know all that you need to know.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So he did actually show up at our local police station. I got the serial number ran and it actually did check out. I did find out that the Macbook pro was a gift and he said he just wanted some quick cash for it and was tired of haggling with people on Craigslist and dealing with scammers. I paid him an extra $50 for agreeing to meet at the police station and letting me have the serial number ran. I can't believe I got this thing for $1000. It looks brand new and is under the 12 month warranty until October of 2015.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So he did actually show up at our local police station. I got the serial number ran and it actually did check out. I did find out that the Macbook pro was a gift and he said he just wanted some quick cash for it and was tired of haggling with people on Craigslist and dealing with scammers. I paid him an extra $50 for agreeing to meet at the police station and letting me have the serial number ran. I can't believe I got this thing for $1000. It looks brand new and is under the 12 month warranty until October of 2015.

I'm a sucker for a happy ending. Good for you!

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Also thanks guys for the recommendation of having it taken to a police station. I was a little leery as I don't want to buy something stolen but since the serial number checked out I guess I'm ok. He had the box for it too so I think everything is on the up and up. Thanks again for the advice.