On the fence about keeping 15" Retina macbook pro

clayton006

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I recently re-purchased a 2014 15" retina macbook pro. I say re-purchased because I bought one when they were out new, but I sold it do to my belief that I wouldn't need it long term.

Well I've purchased the same model I sold just this week. I first had a 2015 13" retina macbook pro but decided that I needed more RAM and I needed the quad core for my VM work.

My question is now, should I return the 15" model and wait for the Intel Broadwell refresh to show up (along with a stronger GPU as well I hope) or should I try and "stick it out" with the 15" model I have now. The reason I'm on the fence is because I plan on keeping this system for a long time. I'd rather stay "more current" with newer hardware vs. something that is already going to be a year old.

I'm not complaining about performance per se, but just wanting to stay current out the gate. I may end up taking this back and ordering the 1TB of internal storage but I haven't decided on that yet.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I recently re-purchased a 2014 15" retina macbook pro. I say re-purchased because I bought one when they were out new, but I sold it do to my belief that I wouldn't need it long term.

Well I've purchased the same model I sold just this week. I first had a 2015 13" retina macbook pro but decided that I needed more RAM and I needed the quad core for my VM work.

My question is now, should I return the 15" model and wait for the Intel Broadwell refresh to show up (along with a stronger GPU as well I hope) or should I try and "stick it out" with the 15" model I have now. The reason I'm on the fence is because I plan on keeping this system for a long time. I'd rather stay "more current" with newer hardware vs. something that is already going to be a year old.

I'm not complaining about performance per se, but just wanting to stay current out the gate. I may end up taking this back and ordering the 1TB of internal storage but I haven't decided on that yet.

No matter what you buy or when you buy it, there will always be a newer model just around the corner.

Have you met RavenSword?

clayton006

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Well this I know from building PCs for a long time. I guess what I'm trying to get down to is the high likelihood that in three months we may be looking at new MacBooks. To me that is right around the corner so to speak. If the new release goes into the fall, then I may regret my decision to wait.

If I still had this model from when I purchased it originally I may not be too worried about another update. Now that I just snagged up this one then I may be regretting it in the next few months when the new gear comes out.

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
It all depends on if you want the latest and greatest or not. Intel is on it's tock schedule with the upcoming release of its Skylake processor this summer/fall which will be the biggest processor change in years. However, there is no guarantee that Apple will release a MacBook Pro with that processor this year. They may just go with the Broadwell processor which isn't that big of a jump from Haswell. That being the case you probably want to hold on to your current laptop until Skylake is released since it is meeting your current needs.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have my 15" rMBP from 2012 when the retina screens were new. It's still easily handling anything I can throw at it. And I expect that to continue for a few more years. So I think a 2014 will be just fine for the long haul.

Likewise. Those who obsess over specs usually are all about specs and not necessarily about performance

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen