Which Retina MacBook Pro to buy?

Abenohn

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello all!

I am a junior in high school with enough money to buy a laptop, and I want to get a MacBook Pro with Retina, and I'm stuck choosing between the 13 inch and the 15 inch models. I am aware of the many spec differences between the two, but my funds are limited and I want to get the laptop that will last me a few years and suit me the best in college. I plan on going into Computer Engineering and/or Computer Science, and am also just very interested in coding in my free time, so I'll primarily be coding and doing schoolwork on the Mac. Are any of the coding environments or computer engineering programs very resource intensive that they justify me getting the higher quality and higher power 15 inch MacBook? I know that the 15 inch model is primarily for those who do a lot of video editing, but I'd really like to have the Quad Core i7 processor, but I also don't want to spend the extra money if I don't really need to. Is the extra money worth the higher power for my needs?

Thanks!
Jon

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Go for the 15. I was in the same boat you were, purchasing a laptop for school purposes. The 15" inch retina weighs less than the last generation 13's that has the disc drive. The quad core processor and Iris Pro graphics make it worth it in itself. The computer will last all day unplugged and can handle anything you throw at it from games to video editing to programming--all while on battery power. It may be just a little but heavier and more expensive, but ultimately it is the more future proofed machine.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Well you will definitely be spending extra for the 15''

Unfortunately that model is intended as a high-end production device to make good use of Apple's professional software. If you have the money to spare as a casual consumer it is an amazing computer but not everyone can put out that kind of cash.

If you've the money, you might look at getting a RAM bump on a 13'' rMBP. Having a lot of RAM is great for powering virtual machines which can be a real asset when you're coding.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77