Yosemite ruin anybody else's mbp?

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Late last night I "upgraded" and while it took forever it did load and things looked fine for the few minutes I used the computer. Tonight I tried to use the computer and it keeps giving me grey screens! First screen is just blank, it eventually pops up the apple logo and then gives a cross out symbol (like the red circle with the line thru it) then a file folder with a ? Mark that flashes. This is complete bs I have only had this for a little over a year, there is literally almost nothing on my computer and everything that is on it has been there for at least a year. I shelled out the extra $$$ to not have to worry about things like this. Has anyone had this problem and/or knows how to fix it? I will be livid if I have to pay a bunch to get it fixed especially so close to being out of warranty. TIA

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the problems. From the symptoms you described, I'd take your MBP to an Apple store for diagnosis, or call Apple Support first and see if they can help get you back to a good state.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow that is frustrating but warranty or not they should fix it since the update is what caused the issue. I didn't have this issues on my iMac or my old 2009 MBP.

I had the flashing folder on my MBP too (not upgrade related) but I plugged in my external hard drive, switched which HD the computer loads to and I was able to switch back to the internal HD and it's working again. After being down for months.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I took it in, they said my hard drive was bad. I was nice to the guy and explained that I found it odd the only other time I had any issue with my computer was when I upgraded to Mavericks and if that was something that could have been possibly happening the tech support people should have told me to come get it checked just t be sure instead of telling me to turn it off and on a year ago. He agreed and talked to his manager and they generously agreed to repair it for free. Turns out it wasn't even the hard drive but some cable that connects the hard drive idk but it is running. The bad news is while they were fixing it they dinged and scratched my baby! They are replacing the housing for free (I was shocked when I saw the bill summary though, it's $550) they were apologetic at least lol

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Glad it got resolved! Yosemite is running well enough on my old MBP. I've noticed a little lag here and there. But it's definitely usable, and looks great.

witsonic

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine installed fine on rMBP (Early 2013). The only issue I have is a very noticeable lag on my trackpad (even more noticeable on the bluetooth trackpad). The cursor is very jumpy.

ifan1983

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
My MacBook Pro runs fine, except for when I wake the computer up from sleep. My log in screen looks like thisiMoreAppImg_20141103_140030.jpg is anyone else having this problem?

eggestad

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes, absolutely. After upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.1 (14B25), on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, I get that exact garbled login screen when waking from sleep, not always, but maybe 4 out of 5 times.

Did you get any response from Apple or anyone indicating what this might be caused by? The MBP was running just fine until the Yosemite upgrade.

Karl

ifan1983

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, absolutely. After upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.1 (14B25), on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, I get that exact garbled login screen when waking from sleep, not always, but maybe 4 out of 5 times.

Did you get any response from Apple or anyone indicating what this might be caused by? The MBP was running just fine until the Yosemite upgrade.

Karl

No not yet, and I have the exact same system you do. I wonder if it is something that is only caused on this version MBP

James Harford

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it did! Yosemite is a nightmare. Its made my life as a motion designer hell. Premier doesn't work at all. After effects is sluggish and freezes often. When using a projector plugged into my HDMI port it FREAKS out all the time. The cursor disappears. You often get stuck in full screen quicktime and have to turn the mac off to get out. The sound disappears everyday and I have to go into system preferences to switch back to internal speakers. Wifi problems. Using personal hotspot between mac and iPhone is terrible. Bad rendering of windows, when you open a file while in photoshop the window stores as it opens... its horrible. Its such a shame apple released this version - as a long apple user 10 years now. I am forced to look at buying a PC now as they can't run the software I use. Sad times... ... NOTE; If you use you mac to browse the web and use only Apple software you may not find many problems with Yosemite. BUT, If you, like me use it for professional design work and motion graphics and loads of 3rd party software - I strongly advise to stick to you current OS. As Yosemite has forced me to need a PC. For me, its completely useless..
Motion Designer form London

Brenda Harper

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
This is pretty similar to what is happening to my mac. I downloaded the Yosemite update and it took forever for it to download. Once it was up and running it changed a lot to my computer. Once I tried to edit my photos they new photo system said my photos were corrupt and then everything was corrupt on my mac... then the screen kept going black and I have to keep unplugging and plugging back in the computer for it to turn back on... We took it to the apple store right away because i'm a photographer and I NEED my mac for editing and such. The technician ran tests and said my hard drive was bad. So I payed for a new hard drive, got my computer back, took it home and the screen would not turn on and it sounded like a race car. I took it back the same day, they said they forgot to plug the wire that connects the screen. Okay, they fixed that and I got to take it back home the same exact day. Turned it on and started editing my photos and then the screen keeps going black and i'm so frustrated. So its not the hard drive. Made and appointment the next day to have my computer seen AGAIN. He ran more tests and bla bla bla kept for a couple days and called we are just wiping your computer, restarting it and this should fix the problem. I take it home, turn it on start working on my photos and BOOM THE SCREEN WENT BLACK AGAIN!!!!!!!! I am a total loss, what the could this be, my computer is only 2 years old, my husband purchased it for me in 2013... Our situation sounded the same and I was wondering if you knew what exactly they said was wrong with your computer. I feel like YOSEMITE had RUINED my computer.Please and Thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73