I am looking to upgrade my computer early next year. I currently own a Microsoft Surface Pro. It runs great, but I've found that 128GB just isn't enough storage for me. I'm currently considering three machines.

13 inch MacBook Pro Retina (the I5, 8GB RAM, 512G model)
    Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (I7, 8GB RAM, 256GB)
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (I5, 8GB RAM, 256GB)

Why am I considering a MacBook if I'm a Windows user? Well, I've always admired to gorgeous hardware, and the stellar battery life. I'm also very interested in giving Mac OS a spin.

However, I both want and need to still run Windows 8.1 and above on it. So, here's my question, or questions.

1. Which is the better way to use Windows - Parallels or Boot camp?
    2. Are there performance differences?
    3. Does Boot Camp affect the Mac OS partition negatively at all?
    4. Does Windows actually work properly once its set up?
    5. Battery effects

Any help or advice you could offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    08-19-2014 12:18 AM
    I think if you want to run Windows, the surface pro 3 is your best bet. It seriously gives any MAC a run for its money. Plus windows works great with the touch pad and mouse/keyboard but works even better with Touch.
    I had a surface pro 1, just got a warranty swap out and they gave me a surface pro 3

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    sashlon likes this.
    08-19-2014 01:51 AM
    Performance will probably be a bit better with Boot Camp, but experience will be vastly superior in Parallels. Runs in OS X, so you don't lose the trackpad drivers, great battery life and scaling. All of those are going to take a big hit on Windows.

You're obviously going to get biased answers here, but I still think it is going to be better for Windows than the SP3.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    sashlon likes this.
    08-19-2014 06:45 AM
    1. Bootcamp
    2. Not sure
    3. No
    4. Yes
    5. In Bootcamp battery life will probably be shorter.
    sashlon likes this.
    08-19-2014 06:48 AM
    Thanks for the responses
    08-19-2014 07:49 AM
    I've had a Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and MacBooks. I would get the MacBook. The Windows experience is pretty good with Boot Camp. Apple gives you the drivers for the trackpad and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-20-2014 08:56 AM
    Just a thought here, windows 8.1 is designed to be a touch interface OS. Sure it will work great using a virtual machine on your mac, but it wont run as intended thus the experience with a surface pro 3 will be different than a mac running windows.

Unless you are going to use the mac as a mac machine more, you might end up disappointed. Running a virtual machine can also take a hit on battery life. Being able to run 2 operating systems in one machine is great.

I love my mac, but I am slowly appreciating what Microsoft is doing with windows.

Sent from my Venue 11 Pro 5130 using Tapatalk
    08-20-2014 04:18 PM
    16GB of RAM and VMware fusion is my choice. I primarily run on the Mac side but occasionally need to test something on Windows. I can be in windows in just a few seconds. If speed and efficiency are important to you, run a virtual machine over boot camp. If I was limited to boot camp I would just run a Windows machine and not bother.
    08-26-2014 03:23 PM
    16GB of RAM and VMware fusion is my choice. I primarily run on the Mac side but occasionally need to test something on Windows. I can be in windows in just a few seconds. If speed and efficiency are important to you, run a virtual machine over boot camp. If I was limited to boot camp I would just run a Windows machine and not bother.
    Agree completely. A Windows laptop runs Windows far better than a Macbook in BootCamp. Battery life and things like trackpad gestures are two of the big advantages that OS X offers over Windows. BootCamp takes that away.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    08-26-2014 07:50 PM
    I currently use Boot Camp and I would say I am a novice Mac user. Very easy to set up and it runs smoothly. I just had to configure some hardware but that was easy.
    09-16-2014 03:35 PM