Is getting a Macbook Pro a bad idea if I use an Android phone and all Google Services?

Czaxon

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I've never had any interest in Apple products and therefore never owned any Apple products. But I need a new laptop and the updates Apple has done for Yosemite has really peaked my interest. I really like the simplicity, functionality and how clean the interface looks. So I'm planning on buying the new Macbook Pro 13" with Retina with Yosemite once it launches later this year? I've read Yosemite will launch this fall, but does anyone know when the new Macbook Pro with retina will launch with Yosemite? I know I can buy the current MBP but I want the latest tech.

Now, the main concern I have is that I use an Android phone and all Google services. I watched the Apple keynote showing Yosemite and it seems like you only get the maximum benefits of the new functions by having all Apple products and services. I want to continue using Android phones and Google mail, calendar, and music.

Can someone who has both a Macbook and Android phone and uses google services comment on how well that works? For example, I like the new notification bar that slides out from the right on Yosemite and it displays calendar. Will I be able to customize that so it displays my Google calendar if I don't have Apple calendar? And likewise with the Mail app, which I really like from the presentation. Will I be able to use Gmail and Outlook mail on that? And for cloud storage, I use mainly Microsoft's Onedrive (I have their grandfather 25GB). Does Onedrive integrate well with Macbooks? And finally, I use Chrome browser on my current laptop and phone and my bookmarks are all their. I like the integration of Chrome and all my google servies so I don't think I will switch to Safari. I've read some posts online about Chrome on Macs being heavy battery drains. Is that true?

Sorry, my knowledge and experience with Apple products/services is very limited so some of my questions may be very simple or even common sense but I just wanted to be certain. Thanks

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
You'll be just fine with your google service and a macbook. Minor annoyances at times but nothing that is a deal breaker by any means. Just takes some extra legwork to add your contacts and calendar separately, but you would have had to do that on a Windows machine as well. There will obviously be some things that you won't be able to take advantage of, such as some of the messaging features, email features etc.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I use a Galaxy S4 and exclusively use Google Services for email, backups, syncing, messaging, etc. Have had no issues with my rMBP 13.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a Nexus 5 and Google services, and everything works great on my Macbook. Honestly, I have more issues running Google services on my phone than I do on the Mac.

You won't have the seamless transition features Yosemite and iOS8 will offer, but everything else will function normally. I even have Chrome as my default browser.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I am using a Nexus 7 with my MBP, works without any problems.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a lg g3 iPad air and a macbook pro and it all works nicely! I use one drive and Dropbox for all my photos and documents between devices.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
As everyone said you'll be fine with both, I've been using android & google with my MBP and iMac for years. I use OneDrive and it has it's own folder, updates my saved info automatically. Chrome works great on macs too but I still prefer safari. If you buy the computer now you'll still be able to update to the new OS, and if for whatever reason they make us pay for it this year yours would be free; but since Apple updated us all for free last year and only $20 year prior, you don't have to worry about that. Now since you'd want the newest model with Yosemite on it, you might be waiting a while. The Mac line was just refreshed in July. They might eventually sell them with Yosemite on it, the more they build but it's the same model that's out now.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh, OneDrive works fine on the Mac.
Yosemite update will be free, so there's no need to delay getting the Macbook if you need it now.
Thanks for that info. I just picked up my new MBP this weekend after a brief Mac hiatus, now I have to get some software purchased that is current.

xKrNMBoYx

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No it's not a bad idea. I am currently using an Galaxy S3 and still use my Mid-2012 Macbook Pro frequently. You'll missout on the features where iOS and OSX work together, but otherwise everything else should be fine. Unless you are using a Windows Phone or a Samsung Phone there would be no reason to prefer a samsung/windows based laptop. That is unless there are program incompatibilities.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
No it's not a bad idea. I am currently using an Galaxy S3 and still use my Mid-2012 Macbook Pro frequently. You'll missout on the features where iOS and OSX work together, but otherwise everything else should be fine. Unless you are using a Windows Phone or a Samsung Phone there would be no reason to prefer a samsung/windows based laptop. That is unless there are program incompatibilities.

There are no Samsung laptops that run on anything developed by Samsung. They all run Windows, which means they are no more compatible with a Samsung phone than they would be with any other Android device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner