I know there are tons of google entries for people trying to ttrack down the "Other" space. I have spent the afternoon and the Genius Bar, and with tech support. We have done ll the typical things - checked all the user folders, disk permissions, disk verify, cache, restarts, special resets by the tech guys, etc. etc. There is space missing though - here is the fundamental problem.

If you go into About thiis Mac and see the storage map, it says of a 1 TB disk, about 480MB is the users stuff - audio, photos, etc., and 520 is "Other" (hence the problem - out of space).

But if you go into tools like Disk Inventory X, I can open the HD volume (it says 931GB in size), run the app, and it reports on 480MB of space used! It does not see 1 GB of space. Where is it? Is there a tool to see the whole disk? Something has swallowed up about 580GB of disk space!
    07-20-2014 05:59 PM
    This picture shows what I am talking about - you can see the entire disk is 980.91 GB, but the sum of its parts, 462.93 + 12.92 + 5.6 + 5.26 GB, sum to only 486.71 GB. Where is the other 494.2GB?
    Mystery disk space-1.jpg
    07-20-2014 06:23 PM
    Probably time machine local backups. Starting on Lion or Mountain Lion Time Machine makes a backup locally if you don't have your external drive connected. Then when the external drive is connected this space is supposed to automatically reduce back down. The local TM backup is also supposed to automatically give up space for user-generated files. Are you actually getting errors trying to save files? Or are you just concerned about the other space?
    Anyway if you want to turn the local TM backup off, just google it (I don't have the command handy at the moment) and there is a simple Terminal command you can run to turn this off.
    07-20-2014 06:29 PM
    Thank you for your reply! When I look at Storage under About this mac, the "Backups" is 0. I think that is the local backups when time machine is not attached. Are you saying it might be messing up somewhere else and leave disk space still used?

And it i not just a concern about the other space, I hav been getting "Startup Disk is out of space" messages. Yikes.
    07-20-2014 06:58 PM
    Sorry to keep adding to my own post, but as I find more info I thought it might help someone smarter than me to lead the way!

I enabled root, did a du -chxd 1 /, and found /Volumes has 455GB. I did some more research to see what was in there, (du -sh *), and it looks like after a few volumes displayed (circled) it spits out a whole bunch of "No such file or directory" errors. Something I should fix? Could this be where the mystery space is?

Mystery disk space-1.jpg
    07-20-2014 07:32 PM
    Thank you for your reply! When I look at Storage under About this mac, the "Backups" is 0. I think that is the local backups when time machine is not attached. Are you saying it might be messing up somewhere else and leave disk space still used?

And it i not just a concern about the other space, I hav been getting "Startup Disk is out of space" messages. Yikes.
    Ok. It's possible they changed the label from Other to Backups. If hast how it is labeled now, I'm guessing that that is the local TM backups. And it shouldn't be giving you disk space errors if that is what was using it.
    07-20-2014 08:10 PM
    Sorry to keep adding to my own post, but as I find more info I thought it might help someone smarter than me to lead the way!

I enabled root, did a du -chxd 1 /, and found /Volumes has 455GB. I did some more research to see what was in there, (du -sh *), and it looks like after a few volumes displayed (circled) it spits out a whole bunch of "No such file or directory" errors. Something I should fix? Could this be where the mystery space is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	61010
    Not sure. Do you backup your iPhone or iPad with iTunes? Those errors appear to be with "Mobile Backup" which I believe would be for your iDevice backups. Maybe go into iTunes, do Cmd-, for Preferences and go to the device tab and see if you have any backups listed. If so, delete the backup and see if that fixes your issue. (probably should make sure you have another iDevice backup like a. iCloud one first).

Also, have you tried running Disk Utility?
    07-20-2014 08:15 PM
    Thanks - I checked, there was just 1 iPhone backup this morning, I deleted it (a manual one from months ago, I back up to iCloud now). I have run Disk Utility several times, permissions and disk verify. All is fine there!
    07-20-2014 08:33 PM
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox since the error seems to be there.
    07-20-2014 09:02 PM