Surface Pro to a MacBook Pro

mattjohnson78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have decided to jump over to the world of the MacBook. I recently picked up a MacBook Pro at a good price, I think. I have been a long time Windows user and was using a Surface Pro. I also moved back to the iPhone 5s from a Note 3 and picked up a iPad Mini Retina with LTE. It's going to take time to learn the MacBook Pro but have used every iPhone before and the iPad.

Any advice you can give me to help me transition to OSX? I want to learn OSX before I install BootCamp and install Windows.

Anyone have any websites that will help me learn the tricks and have tips?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

jordanzhninja

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I have decided to jump over to the world of the MacBook. I recently picked up a MacBook Pro at a good price, I think. I have been a long time Windows user and was using a Surface Pro. I also moved back to the iPhone 5s from a Note 3 and picked up a iPad Mini Retina with LTE. It's going to take time to learn the MacBook Pro but have used every iPhone before and the iPad.
?
Any advice you can give me to help me transition to OSX? I want to learn OSX before I install BootCamp and install Windows.

Anyone have any websites that will help me learn the tricks and have tips?

Thank you

What made you leave Windows? :(

mattjohnson78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
What made you leave Windows? :(

I watched the WWDC Keynote and saw a lot that I liked. I really liked the new iOS 8 and the new features that have finally been added, things that have been in Android for awhile. Also the larger screen size of the iPhone. As for the MacBook Pro and OSX, I also liked a lot of the features being added and how the iPhone, iPad and MacBook are going to be connected, something not done that great in Android or Windows. Better customization on all three.

Apple is finally learning to give what their customers have wanted. Apple use to do what it thought was best for their customers now they are listening to their customers.

Overall Apple is doing better for their customers and I believe that will bring more over to them, even those who left.

co4nd

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
They still do what they think best for their customers, customers are just beginning to realize that Apple's right.

I'm a macBook Pro user who runs Windows 80% of the time. There's really only two reasons to run bootcamp 1. You're a gamer and want to run Windows games with full GPU hardware acceleration, 2. You are going to run Windows most of the time, just got a macbook because the hardwares better and it looks cooler. I run Windows mostly on Parallels virtual environment, though you could use a free one like Oracles Virtual Box. This allows me to work in Windows (I develop in Visual Studio) but use OS X for Email, MS Office, Skype, Internet, I even do source control on OS X.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
They still do what they think best for their customers, customers are just beginning to realize that Apple's right.

I'm a macBook Pro user who runs Windows 80% of the time. There's really only two reasons to run bootcamp 1. You're a gamer and want to run Windows games with full GPU hardware acceleration, 2. You are going to run Windows most of the time, just got a macbook because the hardwares better and it looks cooler. I run Windows mostly on Parallels virtual environment, though you could use a free one like Oracles Virtual Box. This allows me to work in Windows (I develop in Visual Studio) but use OS X for Email, MS Office, Skype, Internet, I even do source control on OS X.

Another vote for Parallels. Haven't used it, but from what I've read it's far better than BootCamp because it runs alongside OS X, instead of as its own OS. Allowing you to keep the great battery life and Apple's drivers.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

mattjohnson78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have installed Parallels 9 for Mac and Windows 8.1 Pro on my MacBook Pro. Took some time to setup and figure out but all is good.

I now need to upgrade my Ram to 8gb for a smoother experience since Parallels shares the Ram between the two Operating Systems.

Main reason for installing windows is Office 2013 Pro. Need EAS support for email and Office for Mac does not support it.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have installed Parallels 9 for Mac and Windows 8.1 Pro on my MacBook Pro. Took some time to setup and figure out but all is good.

I now need to upgrade my Ram to 8gb for a smoother experience since Parallels shares the Ram between the two Operating Systems.

Main reason for installing windows is Office 2013 Pro. Need EAS support for email and Office for Mac does not support it.

Is it a retina MBP? Because the RAM is soldered to the motherboard on those.

mattjohnson78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It's a Early 2011 MacBook Pro with the Intel i5.

After I upgrade the RAM I plan to change out the hard drive to a 256GB SSD.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It's a Early 2011 MacBook Pro with the Intel i5.

After I upgrade the RAM I plan to change out the hard drive to a 256GB SSD.

Ah, OK. I'd upgrade to an SSD first and then RAM. You'll see more of an improvement

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2