Would a base configuration 15" MacBook Pro retina be a good choice for app dev?

Spec:
    2.0 quad core i7
    8gb sdram
    256gb flash storage
    Add on USB SuperDrive

Or would a spec ed out 13" MacBook Air be better?

Spec:
    1.7 dual core i7
    8gb sdram
    512gb flash storage
    Add on USB SuperDrive
    Add on AppleCare protection

They are at the top of my price range and would like to save a few bucks but also don't want to regret anything later. With the pro I would gain the retina display, a bigger screen and iris pro graphics. But would loose 256gb of flash storage. Would the pro eat up the 8gb ram with the pro graphics and display tax on the system? Would the air preform better spec ed out rather than the base pro?

Portability would be nice but the fact that it's a laptop is good enuff. Battery life is a high priority, I live totally off grid on solar so every little bit helps. Longevity is a major concern not only as far durability but in tech specs too, will need to use this unit for a while in the dev role. Will be using it for a small online business as well as all the normal household stuff. It will be my main/only computer other than iPad and iPhone.

Thanks in advance. Need to make the decision over the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    Last edited by kd7irm; 05-16-2014 at 08:13 PM.
    05-16-2014 08:03 PM
    I'd go with the Pro for development purposes.
    05-17-2014 12:19 AM
    The rMBP will outperform the Air in pretty much anything except battery life. It has a far better CPU and GPU, which will help when running anything intensive. Either should be good for programming though.
    Why not get a specced out rMBP 13?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    05-17-2014 10:06 PM
    Screen real estate. I've read plenty lately about the resolution on the retina 13" is nice and clear but when running Xcode screens it's too small to look at it for very long day in day out. That's the only reason. I know you can change the resolution when you are in Xcode but switching back and forth would quickly become a pain I fear.
    But I could get one heck of a 13 inch pro for the same money! kinda like a spec ed out air, it would scream!

Last edited by kd7irm; 05-17-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    05-17-2014 10:19 PM
    Screen real estate. I've read plenty lately about the resolution on the retina 13" is nice and clear but when running Xcode screens it's too small to look at it for very long day in day out. That's the only reason. I know you can change the resolution when you are in Xcode but switching back and forth would quickly become a pain I fear.
    But I could get one heck of a 13 inch pro for the same money! kinda like a spec ed out air, it would scream!

Not sure what you mean at the end of your post. Are you talking about the standard Macbook Pro(No Retina)?

05-17-2014 11:40 PM
    I mean a 13" pro with retina.

05-17-2014 11:43 PM
    I mean a 13" pro with retina.

Ah, OK. Is the scaling not an issue on the 15 inch rMBP?

05-18-2014 12:25 AM
    Yea, that's what I've read anyway. No hands on experience, but from what I gather, if it's your only machine to code it should be the 15 rMBP or the 13 MBA for that reason.

I've read lots of people easily code on any MacBook with at least 8GB of ram and the other specs are just a bonus. But most of them have external monitors or desktops and only use the MacBook on the go. Knowing this will be my only computer makes me want to make sure I have a more than Capable machine for everyday long term use coding etc.

05-18-2014 01:15 AM
    Yea, that's what I've read anyway. No hands on experience, but from what I gather, if it's your only machine to code it should be the 15 rMBP or the 13 MBA for that reason.

I've read lots of people easily code on any MacBook with at least 8GB of ram and the other specs are just a bonus. But most of them have external monitors or desktops and only use the MacBook on the go. Knowing this will be my only computer makes me want to make sure I have a more than Capable machine for everyday long term use coding etc.

The rMBP is more future proof. The CPU and GPU will be relevant longer than the ones in the MBA. I'd buy that, so that you don't regret going for a more powerful machine down the line

05-18-2014 01:45 AM
    I agree, I'm thinking for the most part the 15" pro will meet my overall needs better for a longer period of time.

05-18-2014 02:09 AM
    I agree, I'm thinking for the most part the 15" pro will meet my overall needs better for a longer period of time.

Yup. I'm sure the Air will run everything fine now, but it won't do as well as the MBP later on its life span

kd7irm likes this.
    05-18-2014 02:43 AM
    Recommend getting 16GB RAM. This should help with the longevity aspects. By that I mean the additional RAM will be able to better handle future software/OS requirements, and you'll realize immediate benefits from more stuff staying in system memory.
    kd7irm likes this.
    05-18-2014 11:05 AM
    Picked up the base configuration MacBook Pro w/retina 15" and am extremely happy so far, have not done any heavy work yet but so far I can't see any issues.

Do the fans ever turn on in these things are they just really that quiet?

05-22-2014 10:36 AM
    Picked up the base configuration MacBook Pro w/retina 15" and am extremely happy so far, have not done any heavy work yet but so far I can't see any issues.

Do the fans ever turn on in these things are they just really that quiet?

They are that quiet. I only notice them if I'm doing something like video conversion with handbrake
    05-22-2014 12:20 PM
    Amazing.

05-22-2014 12:23 PM
    Amazing.

They will get pretty loud when doing more intensive tasks. Inevitable when the laptop packs so much into that slim of a chassis.

Congrats on the new laptop

kd7irm likes this.
    05-23-2014 01:28 AM
    Are apps like "memory clean", "battery health", and "disk doctor" needed?
    08-27-2014 02:33 PM
    Are apps like "memory clean", "battery health", and "disk doctor" needed?
    Memory clean apps, no. Battery health, no. Disk doctor, it depends on what functionality it has. Some disk utilities are good.
    08-27-2014 03:14 PM