How Many People Bought The New MBP w/ Retina Display And Why?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I did it, first Mac, because it has the retina display. I rather like the gesture trackpad, though the display is amazing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
First and foremost, the screen. I look at my computer screens for long hours, and apple screens in general are some of the best out there. Then add retina on top of that, and I get virtually no eye strain at all. Second is the instant-on that a macbook with a SSD gives. Ive used PCs with SSDs and they do not give the same experience. Third, hardware in general. From the keyboard to the track pad to the overall construction, nobody does it better than Apple. Ive never owned any other computer that I was reasonably sure I could still count on 5 years down the road.

ajonesma

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I did it. I bought a 2008 Macbook and then it died quickly and I've been using PC's ever since. but decided to come back to Mac OS, and so far I'm loving it :) The display is amazing. Just wish I could figure out the battery issue :(

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Bought it...thought it was a great machine, but returned it because I didn't feel the benefits of it outweighed the negatives. I have a 2012 model that can run circles around the newest retina model (cost for cost) in all aspects besides picture quality on screen and battery life. It's kind of hard to argue with a dual drive MBP running an SSD and huge HDD, i7 processor and 16GB of RAM. I mean my spec'ed out options cost the same as the drive upgrade on the retina model...

Don't get me wrong, again...it's a great machine, but I needed/wanted things it couldn't provide for me (or at least couldn't provide for me at a cost I was willing to pay). A retina model MBP with the specs of my 2012 model (but less storage) would easily cost over $2,700...my 2012 model cost me, with ALL of the additions, in the ballpark of $1,500. That leaves me with enough money to go buy an iPhone AND iPad or another Macbook (Air).

This route isn't for everyone, but it has worked perfectly for me.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I bought it because I spilled an adult beverage on my 11" MBA. I've had a 2010 MacBook Pro and there is no comparison. The display is beautiful and it's super fast. I got the mid-model because it has the most bang for my buck. 256GB SSD & 8GB will future-proof me for awhile. The addition of a AppleCare gives me further protection.

rex450se

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I bought the late 2013 high end 15" after I got frustrated with my Windows laptop. I had a top of the line Asus Republic of Gamers laptop with 32Gb of Ram, 2 SSD's and was just loaded. But there was a BIOS issue and when I would unplug it the fastest it would run was .77GHz, not very useful. I don't game at all but used it for AutoCAD and some 3d modeling. There was finally a fix for the BIOS and then Windows 8.1 came out. So I upgraded to that, and they didn't have all the drivers available so some stuff didn't work properly. I said screw it, and sold it on eBay for over $2k and bought my rMBP and haven't looked back since. With one company making the software and hardware you just don't have the issues I was running into. Yes, Mac OS has some issues, but they are much quicker getting a fix out for it. And their customer service is second to none. When I first talked to Asus about the throttling problem they wanted me to send it in and I'd be out a laptop for 2 weeks, I just couldn't go that long.

Victor

pjcloninger

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 13", 512gb i7 refurbished as my first Mac computer. I run a home inspection business and use the computer for work. I've used Windows for years and was tired of the crashing, slowness, and poor build quality. So far I can't say enough good things about the computer and OSX.

TeaBoy_63

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought the MBPS with Retina Display at the end of 2012. This is my first Mac, I switched to Mac for 2 reasons; I had had enough of Windows laptops that had a short life before slowing down and not being able to keep software up to date, and I was already an iPhone and iPod user and really liked what I saw of the whole Apple ecosystem. I choose the 15" retina because: 1, I had always regretted not getting the best screen on my previous Windows machine and 2, I had seen reports that MBAs were faster then then standard MBPs because of their SSDs and since my large iTunes library was always going to be on an external drive the lower capacity didn't matter so much.

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I did, got a 2.4/8gb/256gb Haswell 13". Firstly I was a long time windows/Linux user and this was my first MBP. During university a few years back I thought about getting a mbp, most of my friends did but the highest res option was below 1080p, and it costed a lot more then other 1080p laptops out there. I got a Dell XPS15 and loved it, battery life was less then the MBP but it had a much better screen for a cheaper price, win win.

Few years move on and I get a gaming PC for awhile as I didn't need a Laptop since I finished uni. Then the Retina MBP drops, and I finally saw the mac for me, very high res display in a new sleeker lighter body. I was wary of the first gen product, so I waited for Haswell. Typical I go for 15" display but my GF wanted us to have the same machine so I gave it a shot. Actual glad I got it, it is stupidly light, awesome battery life, and being able to scale to 1680*1050 is enough for now.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine a couple months ago and got the standard 13". I had been wanting one for years but I could never make up my mind. I have a Mac Mini but it was getting painfully slow, so I decided now was the time. And I'm glad I did. I was looking at the Air but the retina display is what sold me on the Pro. Great machine that I try to use as often as possible.

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased my new Retina MacBook Pro 13" w/ Retina.
I ended up getting the basic one because, well, I just wanted a new notebook. Long time Windows user, and I just decided to get a Mac because one day at work I saw how nice it synced with an iPhone.
I was undecided at first between the MacBook Air 13" and Pro 13" but heck, if I'm gonna spend the money I better get the Pro. And I am happy with it.
Oh, and not sure if its the "new" one. I have the one that was released Late 2013. Like I said, new to Mac and learning how to shift from Windows still haha

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased my new Retina MacBook Pro 13" w/ Retina.
I ended up getting the basic one because, well, I just wanted a new notebook. Long time Windows user, and I just decided to get a Mac because one day at work I saw how nice it synced with an iPhone.
I was undecided at first between the MacBook Air 13" and Pro 13" but heck, if I'm gonna spend the money I better get the Pro. And I am happy with it.
Oh, and not sure if its the "new" one. I have the one that was released Late 2013. Like I said, new to Mac and learning how to shift from Windows still haha

That is the latest one. They had one in early 2013, but not one for early 2014. I don't expect a new one until Broadwell is ready. I couldn't wait that long to get mine 😅

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234