MacBook Pro Keeps Shutting Down - Hardware Or Mavericks Causing It?

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible you're accidentally brushing the power button when this happens? Mavericks changed the way sleep mode activates, so it goes to sleep right away after that button's pressed rather than asking what to do (sleep, shut off or restart).

Assuming that's _not_ the case, please try to describe the problem in a bit more detail. Is it powering down all together or just entering sleep mode? Does it seem tied to any particular activity? Do you hear any unusual fan noise? Is it more prone to happen when running a particular application?

Also, try to clear NVRAM (by holding down the command, option, P and R keys simultaneously on boot, until you hear the boot chime three times, then let go) and reset the System Management Controller (SMC) (by shutting down your Mac, unplugging the power supply and holding down the control, option and power buttons simultaneously).

The SMC, in particular, manages specific aspects of how the Mac's power management works.

Assuming none of that fixes things, I might recommend a trip to your local Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) to have it looked at.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
See if your power source is failing--that may require a trip to the GB. My iMac has been doing some delightful shutting down this year on it's own, and I am beginning to wonder if that is it. I may try the SMC trick-- Peter--you say simultaneously, you mean hold control, option, and power WHILE unplugging? That obviously takes a spare person...

Found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFCF86GOFRI

I have an iMac that I'll try it on later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2